Testing Goats!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Nov 16, 2010.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

So this is the first time I have had a steady herd, usually im always selling or giving goats back and I havent tested all my goats for CAE CL or Johnnes.

Most of my girls got tested before they came to me, the ones that didnt my friend tested, all have been negative

Heres my questions

How often should they be tested?

Is it best to test for all 3?

How much does it cost for each?

I still need to find someone to come draw blood for me, I cant and my friend cant either....

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    never say you can't!!
    it's really easy to learn

WADDL does testing for all three, check their site for pricing.
    I test everyone for CAE, CL Every other year i randomly test for Johnes, that one gets $$ and it's more uncommon

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I will probably have someone teach me lol I need to see it done and then I will probably be ok doing it!

Ok so Im thinking since its officially my first time I should do the 2 and then do Johnes next year...

Im sooooo excited!

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would start out testing for CL and CAE. And I do believe there is a video of drawing blood on a doe on Youtube. I may be wrong though? Google "drawing blood on goats" there should be some explanations and photos. Otherwise you could have a vet show you. ;)

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

As far as how often to test..most breeders test every year. However, if you don't go to shows or expose your goats to other non-tested animals I don't see why you'd have to test again. If you bring in any new goats to your herd just get them tested to make sure.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I test each of mine for all 3 and then only CAE after that yearly. Dont see the need for CL or Johnes testing after the original testing when I dont have abcesses and my herd isnt in contact with anyone who doesnt test for johnes (except a shows but I keepmy goats penned away from everyone else )

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I tested for CAE/Cl 2 years in a row, had my vet come and do blood draws both times because I chickened out....Dr Nadaraja had said that I wouldn't need to test again unless I brought in a new goat....and I just don't have the time to be able to show so theres no chance of them being exposed to others with that route.

WADDL is a great lab, they bill you so you don't need to have the $ up front....with the vet visit and the lab fees this year, testing the whole herd of 9 was $240
    http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts_waddl/f ... x#VIROLOGY

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Use UC Davis.... you can send it priority mail and save yourself $30 in overnight shipping fees. Plus they are awesome and you get the results the next day. If you can afford it I would test for all 3. We test yearly and you need to continue testing yearly for Johnes for at least the lifetime of your oldest goat (if you have a closed herd) as Johnes can take YEARS to show up but minutes to infect an entire herd and property.
    :( Scary when you think about it. :chin:

We only just started testing for Johnes last year....luckily all results have been negative so far but of the 3 diseases.... I think it is the most important to test for.

If you can only afford to do 2 tests a year I would do CAE and Johnes the first year, then CAE and CL the next then CL and Johnes the year after that.... if you don't keep adding to your herd you can usually go to every other year testing from this point on. :)
    Happy testing!!!!!