Testing

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lovinglife, May 13, 2020.

1. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    What is the easiest way to test for Johnies, milk, blood or poop? I have one goat I want to test but don't want to pull blood if I don't have to.

Thanks!

2. goodenuff

goodenuff Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    I personally draw blood to test for Johne's since I also test for CAE and CL at the same time. The only trouble I have with drawing blood is when my Guernsey doe decides that she doesn't have veins! I have been searching around and it looks as though the only place in Idaho, from the same state as you, that does Johne's testing is Sage Ag Labs, located in Sweet. They only do blood tests but run them on Thursdays and send reports on Fridays. Here's their link: https://www.sageaglab.com/content/goat-johnes-testing

I would say that milk test would probably be easiest but did some research and cannot find a place in Idaho that does milk testing. Also did some research on the fecal testing and they say that is the most accurate since they look for the genetic material, but again, cannot find a place that does it. Hope this helps!

3. Buck Naked Boers

Buck Naked Boers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Oregon
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Poop is supposed to be the most reliable.

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Active Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Do you know where to send the poop for testing? I guess I should just go pull blood and get it over with.

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Look at UC Davis or WADDL. Possibly your state lab.

7. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Johnes.org is also a great place for testing. Very knowledgeable people.