The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into testing my herd annually for diseases. I have full blood Boer goats. I know of Johnes disease, CL and CAE, which I would test for in my herd.

Can anyone give me any information on testing goats for these diseases? How to test and where to send it to?

Thank you all!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If you are in Tennessee Kord state lab is where you can send them to. If you draw your own you can either ship in a cooler on ice or hand deliver in person. Most vet clinics just send them to the state lab.

If outside of tennessee you should be able to look up the state lab and contact them or the closest vet school. There are online places but I have never used them. When I sent in all of mine testing was still free at the state lab, but I closed my herd many years ago and after several years of tests stopped testing since we had been closed for several years with all negative. They may charge now, no idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are in Tennessee Kord state lab is where you can send them to. If you draw your own you can either ship in a cooler on ice or hand deliver in person. Most vet clinics just send them to the state lab.

If outside of tennessee you should be able to look up the state lab and contact them or the closest vet school. There are online places but I have never used them. When I sent in all of mine testing was still free at the state lab, but I closed my herd many years ago and after several years of tests stopped testing since we had been closed for several years with all negative. They may charge now, no idea.
Is the testing with drawn blood? And it’s annual testing?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I’ve never tested because I just started out and my does are too young. But my “plan” (in quotations because my plans always seem to change) is to test annually, starting before breeding time and continue annual testing until I reach the future goal of a closed herd. Then I’ll figure out if I want to continue with annual testing for selling purposes or move to an every other year or once every three years plan. I’m thinking I’ll use WADDL’s bio security test which tests for all the things you mentioned but I haven’t decided for sure yet. But with most labs, you draw the blood and send it in yourself. You can also have your vet do it for a price if you’re not comfortable with that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve never tested because I just started out and my does are too young. But my “plan” (in quotations because my plans always seem to change) is to test annually, starting before breeding time and continue annual testing until I reach the future goal of a closed herd. Then I’ll figure out if I want to continue with annual testing for selling purposes or move to an every other year or once every three years plan. I’m thinking I’ll use WADDL’s bio security test which tests for all the things you mentioned but I haven’t decided for sure yet. But with most labs, you draw the blood and send it in yourself. You can also have your vet do it for a price if you’re not comfortable with that.
Amazing information, thank you! Just a quick question, can you test while does are pregnant and how old should you begin to test?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's a lab one of my breeders I bought from suggested and uses!

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
WADDL is pretty respected for variety of tests. Pulling blood yourself will save you a ton of moola. And it's not hard to do. Watch a few you tubers and get to it. It's a great skill to have. Ypu got this!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Is the testing with drawn blood? And it’s annual testing?
Yes draw up a red top tube I use the vacutainer red tops. I did annual for awhile but since it was a closed herd after my first year I stopped doing it after a few. All negative and no one on or off the farm etc. Don't test before 6 months old or awhile after weaning. Most wait till a year old and retest another year or two etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WADDL is pretty respected for variety of tests. Pulling blood yourself will save you a ton of moola. And it's not hard to do. Watch a few you tubers and get to it. It's a great skill to have. Ypu got this!
We have tried blood testing for a pregnancy test on two of our goats about a year ago. We have boers and it look us and our neighbors to pull blood. We shaved and pushed on the neck like YouTube videos said to do, but it was so difficult, any tips on making it easier?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts