Tetanus Antitoxin for banding - how much do I give?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CodyAcres, Mar 31, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    I bought a 1500 unit thing of Tetanus Antitoxin, just a small amount, the 1.25" tall bottle is about half full.

How many cc's do I give my buckling for banding? The instructions read like I give the entire 1500 units.

Jamie

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I believe the entire vial is for 1 dose to an adult goat, Hoeggars suggests using 2 1/2 cc sub q or im, so the one bottle you have will dose both kids and protect them for 7-14 days.

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Good! I was going to inject the entire amount, but half of it went on the floor. I didn't have it in and I thought I did. So he hopefully got at least half of it. If he got a little less than half, is that OK?

Thanks,
    Jamie

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    didnt you already give the CD/T? or was that someone else? trying to keep this all straight. I wouldnt give antitoxin on top of a toxoid.

5. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Yes, he had the CDT at 1 week or so when he was disbudded. But I had read somewhere to go ahead for safety reasons and give the tetanus when banding just to be safe.

Jamie

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know you arent suppose to give the toxoid till 3 weeks after giving the antitoxin so I wouldnt ever give the antitoxin after giving the toxoid that recently. :shrug:

7. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Ok, it's been about 6 or 7 weeks since the CDT, so that should be OK right?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you give the booster to the CD/T? because I didnt go back to check your other thread. If not then you need to start the Toxoid shots again (but wait 3 weeks because of the recent antitoxin shot).

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, you will need to do the toxoid shots again.