Tetanus Antitoxin WARNING

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Mar 7, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I had another goat have a reaction to tetanus antitoxin today. Last year it was Bambi, this year it was Ghost's kid. I gave the epi right away and then 1/2 cc dexamethasone. He is doing better tonight.

Please, please have epi on hand if you plan to give this drug. Or better yet, just don't give it. As far as I am concerned this is way to dangerous to give. Out of 6 kids that I have ever given tetanus antitoxin to 2 have had anaphalactic reactions.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is scarey... :shocked: ..how about CD&T tetnus toxoid.....have you had any problems with that?

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    are you talking about CD antitoxin? all of their names are confusing!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have given cd antitoxin and CDT just fine with no reactions at all. For some reason the Tetanus antitoxin just does not seem to agree with goats.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ashley, that had to scare the crap out of you! My goodness....I'm glad the little man is doing fine , but geez, the thot that it could have killed him is just awful.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats crazy! what brand do you have? I have the colorado serum. Used it once or twice on the same goat, So grateful he didnt have a reaction. Plan is to get the epi for this year especialy with angie

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I was very upset, but I am glad I had the drugs to treat him on hand. I talked to the vet about it and he said there is no reason to give tetanus antitoxin if the does the kids came from are up to date on tetanus and the kids got her colostrum.

Stacey: It's the Colorado serum one.

Believe me a reaction is VERY scary. Eye lids swell to the point they can't see, ears swell, skin turns red, breathing becomes labored and lungs fill with junk. They also scream bloody murder forever.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    is the epi just IM?

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    so glad that you were there when he had the reaction.

I don't give them the anti toxin before disbudding. I give an injection of pen, CDT and then disbud - thats it!

11. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, the epi is IM. But it's good to have the dex around too. Helped to clear his breathing up. Before the dex his breathing was so wet sounding I thought he was going to drown.

12. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

You know what, my old vet said never to use it as well since the Colorado serum is of equine origin, he said he's seen more trouble than good from it. (But we have also since switched vets for the goats since he missed so many things with some of our goats, and frankly didnt seem to take them seriously...he's my horse vet :roll: )
    Now out of all the kids here, Ive never had a bad reaction, and we use it only since I've read everywhere that you should.
    Do you give your CD&T earlier then? We vaccinate our does 5 weeks before kidding with CD&T, so does the immunity pass on to disbudding do you think?

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Most of my goats have been vaccinated except for a few that I bought that have not been. But now that I've had the issue with this all of my goats are going to be vaccinated for at least tetanus 4 weeks before kidding. When I talked with my vet the other day he said that if I do that then the antibodies from mom should protect them from tetanus until I vaccinate the kids with cdt.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sure glad that you were on your toes. Congratulations on the great save.

I do not know why but my vet will not let me have Epi. They have given me EVERYTHING else that I have ever asked for.

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I guess it can be used to make meth. :roll: I only got it after Bambi had a reaction to the antitoxin and I had to rush him in to the vet.

You can get it through Vet Serv. I ordered some other stuff from them.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you have to have a Rx for it from them? If not PLEASE tell me the website and I will get some on order right away.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    http://www.vetserv-usa.com/

You have to create an account first, can take a couple days to a week to be aproved. They only ship to farms and vets. If you dont have a vet license you pay the higher price listed.