The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got home from vacation, and I think we're getting ready to lose our first goat, a 3 week old doe-kid named Dora. The people who were taking care of things for us while we were gone started getting concerned about her 3 days ago, since she was dragging one of her back legs like she was injured. They put her and her mother into their own pen together, but the next morning she was much worse, and couldn't stand up. By the time we got home late last night Dora was as stiff as a statue, with her legs straight down and together, and her neck gazing up. I think we're too late, but if she can recover we would still like to try and save her. My quick research suggests white muscle disease or tetanus.

·
I'm watching you
22,541 Posts
Give her a big dose of Thiamin. Acute Polio can sometimes act like Tetanus.
Do you have a vet to use?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Also give a tetanus antitoxin if you can. What's her temp? How long since she has eaten? Is her jaw locked up?
Has she been vaccinated with CD&T yet?
With the polio I have seen, their legs haven't gone stiff like rigamortis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rigomortis definitely describes what her limbs and neck are like. We have been trying to bottle feed Dora - a mix of her mother's milk and electrolytes, but her jaw may be locked, and we haven't gotten her to take much. The only part of her that is still moving is her chest when she breathes. Is it too late for Tetanus antitoxin, or is there a chance she could still come back after being down two days?

·
I'm watching you
22,541 Posts
Anti-toxin won't hurt.
I had 2 cases that stiffened with continuous spasms like that. It was Acute Polio from eating Horsetail Ferns. Thiamin did stop the spasms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and no, she has not been vaccinated. Would white muscle disease cause extreme stiffness like a statue? She can still make noises, but doesn't seem to be in much pain. She seemed to have a fever last night, but feels normal today. We've had goats for six years and have never taken a temp on them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, thank you all for your help, but as of a few minutes to 8, Dora is no longer fighting a battle with tetanus. We were all sad when we realized she wasn't breathing anymore, but relieved for her too. She had been down for over two days, and it was hard to believe we could bring her back to health. I think we have decided to start giving the tetanus vaccine, even though we have never had horses on the property, and don't have rusty equipment. Low risk doesn't mean no risk (We're guessing her wound was disbudding related), and we don't want any future goats to have to suffer like Dora did.

·
I'm watching you
22,541 Posts
Tetanus is almost as common in goats as it is in horses. It lives in the ground and thrives in damp climates.

I'm very sorry for your loss. She is free of pain and fear now.

·
Registered
31,463 Posts
So sorry for your loss..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts