The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

One of my goats had a puncture just above her hoof this morning. I believe she got it from a piece of metal in the stall. I cleaned it with peroxide and sprayed it with Blue Kote. I have ordered their CD/T vaccine but it hasn't arrived yet. She was vaccinated twice last year because of a wound, once March 18th and again with the rest of the herd on April 18th. Do you think she should be ok or should I run out today and get a bottle of the CD/T locally?

She is a 3yr old doe, so been vaccinated all along.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'd ask a vet for a dose of the Tetanus anti-toxin. Even if you give the toxoid (vaccine) today it would take a couple of weeks to provide protection.

The anti-toxin is what you want, unless her last CD&T was quite recent. If it was close to a year ago, I'd go with the anti-toxin this time.

Tetanus is a bad thing to get a goat through. And it is a bad way to die.

Onion Creek Ranch says to keep the puncture wound open to the air. That it is the closed environment that allows the toxins to flourish.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
815 Posts
Definitely use the anti-toxin immediately. CDT is a vaccine. Even if they were pretty current on the vaccine I would use the anti toxin for a wound. I had tetnus once and it is awful. The anti toxin is inexpensive and I always keep several bottle around in case I need them. Hope everything goes well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts