Tetanus Question

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Darby77, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Darby77

Darby77 Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Hi All,

One of my goats had a puncture just above her hoof this morning. I believe she got it from a piece of metal in the stall. I cleaned it with peroxide and sprayed it with Blue Kote. I have ordered their CD/T vaccine but it hasn't arrived yet. She was vaccinated twice last year because of a wound, once March 18th and again with the rest of the herd on April 18th. Do you think she should be ok or should I run out today and get a bottle of the CD/T locally?

She is a 3yr old doe, so been vaccinated all along.

Thanks!

2. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I'd ask a vet for a dose of the Tetanus anti-toxin. Even if you give the toxoid (vaccine) today it would take a couple of weeks to provide protection.

The anti-toxin is what you want, unless her last CD&T was quite recent. If it was close to a year ago, I'd go with the anti-toxin this time.

Tetanus is a bad thing to get a goat through. And it is a bad way to die.

Onion Creek Ranch says to keep the puncture wound open to the air. That it is the closed environment that allows the toxins to flourish.

GoofyGoat likes this.

3. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    IMG_20190318_123357.jpg
    Tractor Supply sells this. It is a 1 dose size

Dwarf Dad and mariarose like this.
  4. Heathersboergoats

Heathersboergoats Member

Feb 18, 2019
    IL
    Might want to start a antibiotic so it doesn't get infected and I agree with above see if you can get the antitoxin

mariarose likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Definitely use the anti-toxin immediately. CDT is a vaccine. Even if they were pretty current on the vaccine I would use the anti toxin for a wound. I had tetnus once and it is awful. The anti toxin is inexpensive and I always keep several bottle around in case I need them. Hope everything goes well for you.

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California