The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Are you vaccinating just for tetanus? If so, get a bottle of tetanus toxoid and inject under the skin - 1/2" 20 gauge needle on a 3 - 6 cc syringe, restrain the kid, tent the skin where his/her neck meets the shoulder with your fingers since you sound inexperienced, slide the needle under the skin, draw back on the plunger to make sure you're not in a vein, and inject. Repeat on 2nd kid. If you're also wanting to vaccinate for enterotoxemia then get a small bottle of CD&T and follow instructions above. If you just have the 2 kids I would ask my vet about buying 3 doses as opposed to an entire bottle - the 3rd dose is if you make a mistake and slide the needle through the skin, thereby wasting it. We've all done it.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
2 cc of cdt under the skin near the front of the rib cage. Tsc carries cdt in small bottles also you can mail order it from jeffers and the syringes too.

·
Super Moderator
59,730 Posts
I always do SQ shots in the neck down where it meets into the body. Can usually find a lot of loose skin there.

·
Administrator
84,528 Posts
I'd give the CD&Tetanus (CD&T) it cover the overeating disease and give tetanus protection. Be sure to give the Booster shot 21 to 28 days later.
I give 2 cc US, near the front of the rib cage, in the armpit area or as close as I can give it.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'd give the CD&Tetanus (CD&T) it cover the overeating disease and give tetanus protection. Be sure to give the Booster shot 21 to 28 days later.
I give 2 cc US, near the front of the rib cage, in the armpit area or as close as I can give it.
I know this is older, but I didn't want to start a new thread.
Do you give the booster shot just to kids, or older goats as well?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
If it is their first time having the CDT shot, then yes, I would give a booster to the adults. But for ours, since they get it from the time they are kids, the adults get it once a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts