The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super excited about my 2020 line up! Last year I stretched out kidding season from Jan. -June... I SOOOO don't want to to that again so soon. Decided to breed everyone for Jan. - March (although I may have a few stragglers in April.)
I should have about 50 does to kid in spring 2020. Unless I loose my mind and decide to breed a couple to kid as yearlings.

First up is:
Flat Rock's E Fancy Flame 1*M/1*D
And
SG Phoenix Farm Superior Genetics (VEEE 90)

Both are bred to :
SLR P Twitterpated

Thinking PINK! I don't have any daughters from these 2 does in my herd. I'm over the moon with my Twitterpated kids from 2019! I'm really hoping they each give me a doe to retain!!!!

You can view my full kidding schedule here:
http://www.txskyz.com/kidding-schedule.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats! Looks like you've got some exciting breedings planned, and beautiful goats! Although I can't imagine having 50 does bred!

I see your website mentions DNA testing. What's the purpose of that?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see your website mentions DNA testing. What's the purpose of that?
Mainly for us, DNA testing offers proof of sire/dam. Added insurance that a pedigree is correct and not falsified (either intentionally or accidentally).
ADGA currently requires all A.I. sires after a certain date to have DNA on file. We have some of our bucks collected and do A.I. So far we have DNA on file for our breeding bucks and core doe herd. ADGA just passed that all bucks will need to have DNA on file by 2023 if you want to register their kids. It's only a matter of time before they require does as well. So I guess we are just staying ahead of the times.

It can also be used to verify a parent if one is ever in question.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
I just saw this too. It's really getting mixed feedback. However the best thing it does protect the integrity of the kid so you're smart to be a head of the game in that respect.
I hope you you get the does you want and have easy kiddings all around!
I can't wait for baby pics :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thanks for the explanations regarding the DNA! I didn't realize mixups were so common. I definitely have mixed feelings about it, but that's a topic for another thread!

Hoping for lots of little doelings for you, op! When I'm present for the births, I try to use pink towels to dry off the kids. Blue towels are a last resort. If someone else is helping and I end up with a buckling, I always say it's because they passed me the wrong color towel. Not that I'm superstitious lol :p

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Thanks for the explanations regarding the DNA! I didn't realize mixups were so common. I definitely have mixed feelings about it, but that's a topic for another thread!

Hoping for lots of little doelings for you, op! When I'm present for the births, I try to use pink towels to dry off the kids. Blue towels are a last resort. If someone else is helping and I end up with a buckling, I always say it's because they passed me the wrong color towel. Not that I'm superstitious lol :p
That gives new meaning to "Passing the buck" lol ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts