The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This forum is filled with amazing advice from many different people! If anyone is looking for advice on a particular issue and wants feedback in terms of natural methods -- feel free to use this continual thread!

Happy healing!;) :haha:

UPDATED 8/21/2020
See posts on following pages for natural alternatives for issues and ailments.
Feel free to post your own.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Can I ask you to define your use of "natural"? There's some blurriness in how people use that word and knowing what you'd like will help prevent awkwardness-es.

Yeah, I know. Not a real word.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I ask you to define your use of "natural"? There's some blurriness in how people use that word and knowing what you'd like will help prevent awkwardness-es.

Yeah, I know. Not a real word.
Of course I can.

To me, I try to do things "naturally" by avoiding chemicals, harsh antibiotics, etc. This could be anything from using herbs, to just practicing good management. Natural is anything to me that more relates to the care goats would receive in the wild -- "natural" foods healing them, their "natural" instincts to have space and roam, unlike getting chemical wormers which cannot happen in the wild.

I am not all "boo-hoo" to any sort of chemical or conventional methods of treatment -- I know when certain things are necessary. But I weigh my options and decide what truly has the most potential to benefit my goats.

So to me, natural is a broad-spectrum word. Just as I try to refrain from using the term "herbal deworming" because herbs are not the only practice or thing I use to deworm my goats. Anyway, natural and holistic I use fairly interchangeably. But in all honesty it is more of a mindset to be willing to consider options from many sides, not just a way of goat care.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Thank you. I'm certain that clarification will be helpful. Awesome mindset!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I have a question. . .does anyone know the cheapest place to get herbal dewormer? Is buying in bulk cheaper?

We are resistant to most dewormers here.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a question. . .does anyone know the cheapest place to get herbal dewormer? Is buying in bulk cheaper?

Most dewormers can not be purchased in bulk due to the fact that they are made in small batches (at least, the good ones are). I think there are a few dewormers on amazon that can be bought in larger amounts or cheaper - but they aren't what you want. A darn good dewormer - and the most cost affordable of the esteemed bunch - is Land of Havilah's parasite formula. It is cheaper especially due to the lower dosages.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

Look for some sericia lespedeza hay.
https://hayandforage.com/article-1822-sold-on-sericea-hay-(and-other-stuff).html
One paragraph in article:
It's not by coincidence that goat customers are willing to drive two to three hours to pick up Edwards' sericea hay. "One of the desirable qualities of sericea lespedeza is its anthelmintic properties for small ruminants," said Don Ball, retired Auburn University forage agronomist and a recognized authority on the warm-season legume species. "The research is pretty compelling that sericea controls internal parasites and is a good alternative to chemical dewormers."

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Well, Here are some important questions only you can answer, @21goaties

What amount are you personally calling bulk? That probably is an amount that varies from person to person and company to company?

But yes, @NigerianDwarfOwner707 has the most pertinant point about that, freshly compounded is more potent than having sat about.

What are your parasites, and what have you found them to be resistant to?

What management practice changes can you implement to keep the parasites out of the bodies?

Herbal worming needs to be on a very strict schedule. Can you commit to keeping up with that?

Herbal worming is not a substitute for periodic fecal checks. Are you willing to keep up with that?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Here are some important questions only you can answer, @21goaties

What amount are you personally calling bulk? That probably is an amount that varies from person to person and company to company?

But yes, @NigerianDwarfOwner707 has the most pertinant point about that, freshly compounded is more potent than having sat about.

What are your parasites, and what have you found them to be resistant to?

What management practice changes can you implement to keep the parasites out of the bodies?

Herbal worming needs to be on a very strict schedule. Can you commit to keeping up with that?

Herbal worming is not a substitute for periodic fecal checks. Are you willing to keep up with that?
Gosh I love your questions!!!! :clever:

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
This is back to Natural Care, not about worming.

I like a few books

Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas has helped me teach bottle babies what they can eat so they don't poison themselves. Great pictures so you can clearly know the plant at different stages of life.

Five Acres and a Dream by Leigh Tate Excellent, especially when she talks about the nutrients goats need, and how you can grow them. I lent my copy to my neighbors when they first moved in and I never got it back...

Raising Goats Naturally, 2nd Edition by Deborah Neimann. The best overview I've seen, especially for beginners who may feel overwhelmed. Not exactly anti-chemical, but works hard to keep it in proportion to how to know when it is really necessary. Some cons are that she sometimes seems to forget not everyone has Nigerian Dwarves, and not everyone lives where she does. The book would be improved by less focus on what she personally has. I will say that the 1st Edition was far worse in that regard, so she did improve it a lot.

I also like her online blog Thrifty Homesteader. Nuanced and science based. Thrifty, not cheap. Because cheap is almost always expensive in the long run. Here is a link to her goat articles
https://thriftyhomesteader.com/category/goats/

I WISH I could find some Sericea hay, because there is no 1 complete answer to parasites and the hay sounds like a fit for my philosophy. Even though @Dwarf Dad didn't have the desired answer, his suggestion was a good one for this thread as a whole, I think.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is back to Natural Care, not about worming.

I like a few books

Edible Wild Plants by John Kallas has helped me teach bottle babies what they can eat so they don't poison themselves. Great pictures so you can clearly know the plant at different stages of life.

Five Acres and a Dream by Leigh Tate Excellent, especially when she talks about the nutrients goats need, and how you can grow them. I lent my copy to my neighbors when they first moved in and I never got it back...

Raising Goats Naturally, 2nd Edition by Deborah Neimann. The best overview I've seen, especially for beginners who may feel overwhelmed. Not exactly anti-chemical, but works hard to keep it in proportion to how to know when it is really necessary. Some cons are that she sometimes seems to forget not everyone has Nigerian Dwarves, and not everyone lives where she does. The book would be improved by less focus on what she personally has. I will say that the 1st Edition was far worse in that regard, so she did improve it a lot.

I also like her online blog Thrifty Homesteader. Nuanced and science based. Thrifty, not cheap. Because cheap is almost always expensive in the long run. Here is a link to her goat articles
https://thriftyhomesteader.com/category/goats/

I WISH I could find some Sericea hay, because there is no 1 complete answer to parasites and the hay sounds like a fit for my philosophy. Even though @Dwarf Dad didn't have the desired answer, his suggestion was a good one for this thread as a whole, I think.
If I may add, my favorite book is Holistic Goat Care by Gianaclis Caldwell.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If I may add, my favorite book is Holistic Goat Care by Gianaclis Caldwell.
Keep the good stuff coming! I will have to make a list of the books you two are putting here. I firmly believe that getting our lives and things we interact with closer to not chemically refined, the better off the whole world will be.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep the good stuff coming! I will have to make a list of the books you two are putting here. I firmly believe that getting our lives and things we interact with closer to not chemically refined, the better off the whole world will be.
Well then let me add -- This one is a doozy, and for someone not experienced in herbs it's complicated, but extremely helpful to see a strong natural-oriented point of view to very common problems -- The Accessible Pet Equine & Livestock Herbal by Katherine A. Drovdahl.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also love the book Natural Remedies for Goat Diseases by Mark Gilberd. But this one is as well very focused on one subject - mostly homeopathy, a bit of herbs - so it's not an overall goat care book but focuses just on health and supplements. But I really like the book.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Books are amazingly expensive now. I think they are very much worth it, but only the ones that will actually be useful to you.

I do support the Interlibrary Loan of public libraries to those who have the use of that service. Then you can decide which books to buy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts