Thank goodness for llamas!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Sybil, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Came home from work and noticed all the llamas standing at the buck pen looking out to the neighbors pasture. I thought that the neighbors german shepherds were out chasing the other neighbors calves again. When I couldn't see any dogs I got a little closer. Chaos was up and about in his pen but I could not see Cash. A closer look I saw that Cash was down in between some trees and brush. I had to run back through the house and out the back door and climbed over the fence to see what had happened. Cash was upside down with his left leg caught between 2 alder trees. I tried to get his leg free but could not do it by myself so ran back into the house to have my husband help lift him up to get his leg out. I was afraid that we might need the chain saw to free his leg. I was able to lift him up as my husband guided his leg out of the tree. He got right up and pawed the ground with this foot but did put full weight on it and went to the shed to lay down. He wasn't bloated but a bit wobbly. His leg was cool where it had been caught but the foot felt warm. I decided to let him rest and will go out here shortly to take a closer look at it since I'm sure he is going to have some swelling and pain from this. Thank goodness for the alertness of my llamas. They are always aware of what is going on and alarming when something different is going on. I have had many friends with nubians who were always getting their legs caught in trees etc but I have never ever had anything like this happen before!
    Sue

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good thing you noticed they were on alert otherwise Cash could have been alot worse...hope you gave them extra lovin's after that ordeal :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well thats just wonderful. Hopefully he is up and about quickly

I would give him some nutri drench when you go out next.

4. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    That is great! I'm so glad you were able to free him and he's doing ok. I hope he improves. I've had a couple goats get legs stuck in misc different ways and amazed how they can recover. Wonderful story about your Llamas!

5. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Went out to feed and check on Cash after he had rested for about an hour. Came out to eat grain and hay. Foot is swollen from the pastern down but not too bad and he can walk on it. He does hold it a little funny but he up and about. My husband usually gets home about 30 minutes before I do and did notice the llamas standing at the buck fence so maybe he wasn't trapped that long. If it had been a fairly long time Cash would be in very poor condition (bloat and alot of swelling). I feel extremely fortunate that it ended this well. Didn't know if I was going to have to take him to the vet this am but it looks like he will recover ok! Thanks all for listening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sue