Thank goodness it is species specific

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by fivemoremiles, Sep 12, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    In my sheep herd (230 ewes with lambs there side) i have had a run of 70 lbs lambs develop scours. the lambs were the age that cocci was most likely the cause. after treating with Corid for five days the lambs looked better but a week later they were scouring again. I lost the first one i treated. then i had two more act the same way after treatment.
    maybe it isn't cocci so i treated with valbazen and scour halt. three days and they look dry and are looking filled out. I still am on guard but it is looking up.
    not sure if Cored is loosing its punch or do i have a worm i have not seen before.
    i should take a sample to the vet------in my spare time between 2 and 3 AM
    Thank goodness it is species specific. if it was in my goats i would have lost more than one.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    NigerianNewbie likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry for the loss. :(

A fecal will help a lot, to determine what it is for sure.

How is their inner lower eyelid coloring?

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Very sorry for your loss.
    I'm a bit confused why you would think CoRid didn't work if the Valbazen and Scour Halt seem to be working or maybe I read your post wrong (sleep deprived over here this morning).
    CoRid probably didn't fail you if Valbazen and Scour Halt are getting them cleared up because CoRid is only a coccidiastat, and Valbazen is only a dewormer that does not treat cocci. So it sounds like if one worked over the other then it was a worm issue.

IMO I would get that fecal sample in so you know for sure what your dealing with and make sure you follow up with the correct meds. Since you used scour halt, it could have even been a bacterial breakout - I've seen that happen before and especially in goat kids.

With time crunch you mentioned, if it were me with so many animals I would look into learning how to do your own fecal checks so you can check the fecal yourself when a problem comes up and know if it's the issue and if so what you need to use.

Since starting to do my own fecal checks back in early April I've learned that the guessing game can be costly. So I can't imagine trying to guess with a large herd.

toth boer goats likes this.
  4. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

You treated for the 3 biggest reasons for scours.
    Corid treats cocci (not worms)
    Dewormers treat worms (not cocci)
    ScourChek and ScourHalt are antibiotics that treat bacteria (not worms or cocci)
    Something worked on what was wrong. But a fecal now probably won't tell you which it was, because it's already worked.

The next case of scours you get, I'd go ahead and get a fecal and see which of the three it is...

I do think you'll be money ahead learning to do your own fecals.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you got it cleared up. When you have to move quickly, sometimes you just have to throw everything at them.

mariarose likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California