The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im so mad! We woke up early yesterday morning to two coyotes chasing three of my goats. Poor Shirley she got shredded. I didnt think it was too bad until we started shaving her and found that 75% of her body is shredded. The vet did what he could. Shes eating a little and can still poop and pee. Shes on banamine twice a day and antibiotics. Poor thing i have to flush all the wounds everyday. Still wondering if its better to put her down. Im gonna take it day by day. Is there any thing else i can give her for pain along with the banamine? Ill get more pics today. Too much goin on yesterday to get pics while the vet was here. Oh yeah its war! Coyotes its gonna start rainin lead!

Terrestrial animal Snout Domestic pig Livestock Suidae

Dog breed Gesture Fawn Grass Grass family

Attachments

·
14,730 Posts
OMG!!! I am so sorry :( That poor sweet girl :( This is my biggest fear with having goats, coming out and finding something like this. So my heart goes out to you.
I don't know anything you can do other than keep the wounds clean & dry, and push the pain meds and antibiotics as much as you safely can.
Praying she'll pull through and made a full recovery.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Wow thats bad. Keep flushing with saline and peroxcide.
Also we put bells on our goats to scare the wild beasts away. Also we lock ours up at night which may or may not be something you can do,

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
There's nothing more scarier than that!! I've been there and I understand the anger that comes with it:mad: Poor girl:( She's obviously a fighter and hopefully she will pull through.......coyotes better watch their backs!

·
Goat Mom
823 Posts
You could also give meloxiocam,or some of Molly's herbals ow-ease I've heard good things about it, damn coyotes! Im So sorry she's going through such pain.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,681 Posts
Oh no, that's horrible! Do you have LGD's out there with them? A place they can be in at night? Don't mean to sound rude, just thinking of things to help the situation. That poor girl, I'm so sorry you found her like that!

·
Super Moderator
31,760 Posts
Im so sorry that happened..poor baby...I would be giving large doses of B complex and thiamine as well and wormer...the shock to her system, the stress I cant even imagine...her body will need the vit support and worm protection
I think I would be camping out tonight with rifle in hand...best of luck in getting a few of those savages..hang them on your fence as a warning..
Prayers sent for your gal...

·
1,120 Posts
I've had a goat that was attacked, not by a coyote but by a dog, and he was really bad also, but came around. I was calling the vet every other day asking her advice. It took about a week before he would really eat. Just keep up with the antibiotics and flushing the wounds with water to keep dirt out. Don't use peroxide or alcohol since it kills the good healing cells as well as the bad germs. My vet gave me an antibiotic spray to put on his wounds several times a day. It looks bad but goats are tougher than we give them credit for.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shirley was at my parents house. They have two acres and borrowed three goats to eat the weeds. They have been there for several months with no problems. They have a 5.5 foot v mesh fence. We have always been worried but I thought the fence was high enough. Apparently not! My dad was runnin out there with his rifle and the coyotes jumped the fence like it was nothing! So i brought them all back home but we have been having problems here too. We ran them off twice last night. Not sure what to do. We have live traps set and had leg traps set but we got in trouble :/ its hard to shoot our rifle because we are surrounded by houses. We are gonna try the shot gun tonight. Thats a good idea about the bells too. Gonna look into that. But i have 20 goats on 3 acres, its gonna sound like an orchestra!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened!! :( I have heard that Wolf Pee is really good about deterring coyotes. Hope you can get this resolved!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Poor baby :( I hope she pulls through for you!!

·
Love them goats!
1,055 Posts
Oh my gosh, your poor girl! :(
I do hope she pulls through.

That's my biggest fear with my goats...predators! :mad:

·
Boers & Nubians
1,911 Posts
:eek: How absolutely awful! :( Poor, poor little Shirley. I pray that she will fight through this.

Coyotes shredded one of our little 3 month old Boer bucklings and ate him for breakfast 2 years ago :( Poor little Brownie had fought with coccidia for 3 weeks before, and had just won. These darn coyotes are nasty creatures. The only thing worse would have to be a hyena :mad:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.