That time of year again ... and a sick goat.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Julie, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, it's that time of year again. Temperature really changing, getting cold, everyone getting sick, etc. I love the fall colors ! But I can do without the sickness ! I've been sick for 6 days now, and I noticed that Tanzy (my pygmy x nigerian that I bought from Stacey) has a cough. bad thing is ... it sounds a little congested. So I'm gonna head down and give her some Pennicillian. I'm worried about pnuemonia with this weather change ! Everyone else is fine. Even Presto (my other young goat - also from Stacey) But Tanzy doesn't sound to great.

So just keep her in your thoughts. I had enough problems and deaths this year ! I really would be devastated if I loose Tanzy !! (not that she's in a bad way right now, but I fear pnuemonia)

So here I go ... putting my coat on, heading out in the chilly weather to give her some Penn.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    make sure you give it to her 1cc per 20lbs and estimate her weight high because you can't OD on pen.

do you have nurti drench? give her some of that too

:pray:

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Well, for the kind of penn g I have (300,000 units) according to fiasco farms ... the dosage is 1ml per 15 lbs for my type of Penn G. So I weighed her and she weighs 22lbs .. so I gave her 2ml's just to make sure she has plenty.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Julie, I do hope it's nothing serious and you caught it in time. :pray: Since the dose is different with your brand of Pen...do you still give it for 5 days?

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I'm with ya Julie. Since the move and having to deal with the concrete issue, all of my goats have some sort of respitory problem, they go off feed and cough and snot but they recover without any medication, atleast that is what has happened so far. Little Minute was down and I gave her Naxcel which turned her right around. So I am watching them closely and if I need to I will give antibiotics but I really prefer not to. I have a stethascope (sp?) to listen to their lungs with, and so far everyone sounds clear. So it may just be a cold.... hopefully!

Hope Tanzy feels better soon!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is she doing Julie?

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    She's doing ok. Last night I didn't even hear her cough one time ... and I was in the barn for approx 15min or so. Near where she is.

There's mainly 2 different kinds of Pennicillian. The unit ingredients are different. My pennicillian came from Tractor Supply (I think ... there or Jeffers anyway). So ya gotta look to see which one you have. But yes, I give it for 5 days. Here's the difference in dosage :
    Pennicillian (depends on the units,etc.) :
    Procaine Penicillin G 300,000 units Procaine Penicillin per ml ~ 1 ml
    per 15lbs twice per day. Treat for 5-14 days (never less than 5) or until the
    symptons are gone. * Withhold milk for 14-20 days of treatment
    • Penicillin Procaine & Penicillin Benzathine combo 150,00 penicillin
    units G procaine & 150,000 units penicillin benzathine per ml ~ 1 ml
    per 25lbs once per day. Treat for 5-14 days (never less than 5 days) or until
    the symptons are gone. *Withhold milk for 25-30 days of treatment

It's not a big difference. And I had a little bit of a hard time figuring out which one I had. But anyway, these are the dosages.

I have a stethoscope to, but find it a lil hard to hear clearly enough to be SURE for myself. So I don't use mine much.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats good to hear that she's doing fine, hope it was just the change in weather. And thanks for listing the differences for doseage with the 2 brands...mine is the 300,000 type, good to know the difference in doses.

9. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    Yeah, I think she'll be just fine. Today was only day 2 of her pennicillin. 4 shots so far (2 per day). I'm sure she's getting anxious to be done with the shots ! But we have 3 more days yet ... sigh. Oh well, gotta do it. I'm not taking ANY chances ! Not after how this year has been for me !!! It's been AWFUL !!!

Oh and now Nanny's in heat ... so I can mark down today, and plan on sticking her in with the buck in about 20 days from now (for her next heat). I'm not ready for them to breed "just yet" ... so I'm waiting till her next one. Not that this has ANYTHING to do with this post about Tanzy ... :scratch: I get distracted, what can I say ! LOL ! :shrug:

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Glad to hear that she is doing better, sometimes it is better to be on th safe side.....and can't wait to see what Nanny decides to give you next March!

11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sounds like myself! :scratch:

Glad to hear little Tanzy is doing better!! :stars:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Glad things are turning around for you :)