The Best Disbudding Iron

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by groovyoldlady, Jan 3, 2021.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    All the threads I'm seeing on this are several years old, so help me out. please:

We tossed our ancient disbudding iron after doing last year's kids. My daughters are ready to buy a new one. We have both full sized and Dwarf goats. What would you recommend?

The one we tossed was a hand-me-down from a dairy with full sized goats and it worked great on the Nigerians, so I think we still might opt for the bigger tip. We have a small herd, so we don't need anything flashy. Just one that will get 'er done.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I still use my Rhinehart X50.

groovyoldlady and goatblessings like this.

3. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Short answer the X30.
    Explanation of why: they don’t seem to make the tips fit in the calf part just right any more. The first one I got it heated up great. Second one was crap and only heated one side. I killed that sucker and got another one. Same thing. A friend had the same issue when she got hers. I had enough and got the X30. Some people complain that it takes a lot longer to heat up but I put a metal bucket over mine and it does just fine.
    Now I did goof before I got the correct X30 and bought the wrong one. A lady I know wanted to buy it so I figured I would sell to her instead of shipping back. She flaked on me so if you are interested I’ll see if I can find it, it’s for minis and has never been used.

NDinKY likes this.
  4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We use the Rhinehart X30 as well. It’s done well for us. Even for NDs, the 0.55 size tip is the best. Originally we went with the X50 and the tip that you screw on. Like mentioned above, the screw on tip adapter doesn’t heat well or evenly. It’s also a lot heavier and was more difficult for me to maneuver.

groovyoldlady likes this.
  5. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    I use the X-30 too. We have the 1/4” Pygmy tip on it which it came with, but I think a slightly bigger tip would work better especially for larger goats (we use it on Nigerians). It heats up pretty fast.
    image.jpg image.jpg

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I like the Reinhart x50 professional model. You can change the tips if you want.
    None are cheap, that's for sure!

7. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Great thread, thanks everyone. I got mine last year in preparation for this year.... 2020 I had the vet come out and disbud because I just wasn't ready, but this year I really need to make myself to save on the vet costs. It ended up being $200 a visit, twice.

Do you guys use a box or just position yourselves over them? My vet told me that if you get/have a box, you still have to be really careful. She was on a call and helping teach someone how to do it, they had the kid in the box, the neck hole looked great, had the cushion and everything... but unfortunately it cut the blood supply off and the kid ended up dying =( They didn't realize it until it was too late. Needless to say, she showed me how she does it without the box, kind of sitting on top of them with their head between your legs, and it looked pretty straightforward.

8. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    We just swaddle them tightly in a towel. One person holds them and the other applies the iron. This is much easier to do if you disbud as soon as the buds appear. The kids can be really hard to hold if you put it off!

Ashlynn likes this.
  9. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    So it has the smaller tip? If so, I think I'd rather have the large tip...

10. ksalvagno

You really would be better off with the half inch tip.

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We also use the R x30 as well. We have 2..one for large goats and most nigies and one for tiny nigies.

My daughter does our kids and she swaddles them on a rolled towel. Then straddles them. We have a box but she rather swaddle and straddle them. She feels they are more secure.

12. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I use a box, as I am a one man army here. (son helps at his place, but they are my goats).
    Make sure they can stand up and not collapse and hang by the neck. (board across the inside, helps hold them up). A helper with a wrap sounds good if you can do that.

As with all things goat, what works for one may not work for another. Its what you are most comfortable doing. One thing is important. Apply the disbudder and keep it on the entire time. On and off is a good way to over heat the head. Start with a hot iron. If it burns a nice black circle on a piece of wood, it is ready to do the disbudding.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Thanks from me too for this thread! I was about to buy a Rhinehart x50, but now I'm having second thoughts. Tip size would be a real toss up for me.

14. ksalvagno

Always better to get the larger size. Especially when you disbud males.