The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the threads I'm seeing on this are several years old, so help me out. please:

We tossed our ancient disbudding iron after doing last year's kids. My daughters are ready to buy a new one. We have both full sized and Dwarf goats. What would you recommend?

The one we tossed was a hand-me-down from a dairy with full sized goats and it worked great on the Nigerians, so I think we still might opt for the bigger tip. We have a small herd, so we don't need anything flashy. Just one that will get 'er done.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Short answer the X30.
Explanation of why: they don’t seem to make the tips fit in the calf part just right any more. The first one I got it heated up great. Second one was crap and only heated one side. I killed that sucker and got another one. Same thing. A friend had the same issue when she got hers. I had enough and got the X30. Some people complain that it takes a lot longer to heat up but I put a metal bucket over mine and it does just fine.
Now I did goof before I got the correct X30 and bought the wrong one. A lady I know wanted to buy it so I figured I would sell to her instead of shipping back. She flaked on me so if you are interested I’ll see if I can find it, it’s for minis and has never been used.

·
Registered
839 Posts
We use the Rhinehart X30 as well. It’s done well for us. Even for NDs, the 0.55 size tip is the best. Originally we went with the X50 and the tip that you screw on. Like mentioned above, the screw on tip adapter doesn’t heat well or evenly. It’s also a lot heavier and was more difficult for me to maneuver.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I use the X-30 too. We have the 1/4" Pygmy tip on it which it came with, but I think a slightly bigger tip would work better especially for larger goats (we use it on Nigerians). It heats up pretty fast.
Motor vehicle Font Fawn Material property Tints and shades
Cosmetics Table Wood Office supplies Finger

Reactions: groovyoldlady

·
Registered
473 Posts
Great thread, thanks everyone. I got mine last year in preparation for this year.... 2020 I had the vet come out and disbud because I just wasn't ready, but this year I really need to make myself to save on the vet costs. It ended up being $200 a visit, twice.

Do you guys use a box or just position yourselves over them? My vet told me that if you get/have a box, you still have to be really careful. She was on a call and helping teach someone how to do it, they had the kid in the box, the neck hole looked great, had the cushion and everything... but unfortunately it cut the blood supply off and the kid ended up dying =( They didn't realize it until it was too late. Needless to say, she showed me how she does it without the box, kind of sitting on top of them with their head between your legs, and it looked pretty straightforward.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thread, thanks everyone. I got mine last year in preparation for this year.... 2020 I had the vet come out and disbud because I just wasn't ready, but this year I really need to make myself to save on the vet costs. It ended up being $200 a visit, twice.

Do you guys use a box or just position yourselves over them? My vet told me that if you get/have a box, you still have to be really careful. She was on a call and helping teach someone how to do it, they had the kid in the box, the neck hole looked great, had the cushion and everything... but unfortunately it cut the blood supply off and the kid ended up dying =( They didn't realize it until it was too late. Needless to say, she showed me how she does it without the box, kind of sitting on top of them with their head between your legs, and it looked pretty straightforward.
We just swaddle them tightly in a towel. One person holds them and the other applies the iron. This is much easier to do if you disbud as soon as the buds appear. The kids can be really hard to hold if you put it off!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short answer the X30.
Explanation of why: they don't seem to make the tips fit in the calf part just right any more. The first one I got it heated up great. Second one was crap and only heated one side. I killed that sucker and got another one. Same thing. A friend had the same issue when she got hers. I had enough and got the X30. Some people complain that it takes a lot longer to heat up but I put a metal bucket over mine and it does just fine.
Now I did goof before I got the correct X30 and bought the wrong one. A lady I know wanted to buy it so I figured I would sell to her instead of shipping back. She flaked on me so if you are interested I'll see if I can find it, it's for minis and has never been used.
So it has the smaller tip? If so, I think I'd rather have the large tip...

·
Super Moderator
31,640 Posts
We also use the R x30 as well. We have 2..one for large goats and most nigies and one for tiny nigies.

My daughter does our kids and she swaddles them on a rolled towel. Then straddles them. We have a box but she rather swaddle and straddle them. She feels they are more secure.

·
8,336 Posts
I use a box, as I am a one man army here. (son helps at his place, but they are my goats).
Make sure they can stand up and not collapse and hang by the neck. (board across the inside, helps hold them up). A helper with a wrap sounds good if you can do that.

As with all things goat, what works for one may not work for another. Its what you are most comfortable doing. One thing is important. Apply the disbudder and keep it on the entire time. On and off is a good way to over heat the head. Start with a hot iron. If it burns a nice black circle on a piece of wood, it is ready to do the disbudding.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,452 Posts
Thanks from me too for this thread! I was about to buy a Rhinehart x50, but now I'm having second thoughts. Tip size would be a real toss up for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts