The british alpines were sold

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Dec 22, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Someone stole them out from under my nose :(

Ah well, I'm sure another opportunity will come along at some point. Probably not as good as this one but ...

thats the way it goes sometimes

2. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Ahh well :hug:
    Now you can devote more of that money for ya nigi embryos :thumbup:

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    lol that is the silver lining I have been looking for!

Actually, I have hit an unexpected snag in the nigi embryo deal ... because US isnt scrapie free, basically any animal over there that donates embryos for my program will have to be euthanased after collection to have its brain examined for scrapie ... which would sort of limit the people enthusiastic about selling me their top does to use in the program lol

Just a thought, for you Nigi people, can you get them from Sth Africa? Or have they been so bred up in US that they are different from the originals? If they were available in Sth Af. it would be relatively simple to bring them here, as there are a heap of angora and boer embryos flying over all the time, and none of the scrapie issues.

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    Oh wow that sucks

Nobody would want to kill their best doe for You xD
    What a bummer.
    I'll do some research, Keren, about the south africa, and ill see what I can find on it.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they originated in Africa but I am not sure if they are "the same goats"

as to the scrapies thing -- tis a shame because the only known cases of scrapie were when a goat lived with sheep. I think there was like 2 cases. :shrug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hate to say it but Scrapies is a lot more popular then people want to believe.
    I know in Colorado they have had 7 cases in several years BUT like Stacey said they were all housed with goats. In Nebraska they have had 12 cases and in Wyoming 19 cases. So it is a lot more important them people want to believe.

That is why in most show you have to have a scrapie tag in the goat OR if they are registered that is the way those are tracked.

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    ohwee, Keren, I'm so sorry :cry:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hey Keren, it just meant it was not meant to be. There are better ones waiting for you.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh that really stinks. :( The British Alpines and Nigerians. . . . Sorry about that.

10. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Hey, I WONDER if you could get embryos from a doe, freeze them over in the USA and then when the doe dies THEN test her for scrapies and then ship the embryos over? Kinda "Far Out" but I was just thinking of possibilities...... I know it would most likely take several years that way.

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    thanks mc, thats not a bad idea to think about. If we flushed old does ...

Anyway, I will just have to see how it all ends up :wink:

12. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Aww.. I know how excited you were too... Do you know who bought them?

That really is too bad.. with the nigi thing.. I never knew it was that difficult.