The buck phenomenon

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by keren, Nov 16, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    My boss and good friend, Linda, raises commercial and stud Boer goats. As you know I have mainly angoras, but also boers and dairies.

I tease Linda about what I call the buck phenomenon. Everytime she sells a friend a good stud doe, in kid, and at a cheap price because she is trying to help that person out with starting a stud, the doe only has buck kids.

This is her track record so far:

She sold me Saddleback, a crossbred in kid doe, my first doe (I only had my pet wether before her). She had :boy: :boy: and then died.

She sold our friend Karen two stud Boer does in kid: Red Tail, who had :boy: :boy: and Polyanna who had :boy: :boy: .

She sold me Matilda in kid, she had :boy: :boy: one of which died after 24 hrs.

She gave me Calamity, a 5th cross Boer doe, as a bottle kid. She thrived, and I joined her this yr to Linda's Kalahari Red buck, she had :boy: :boy: (and only traditional colours - I was hoping for patches or pinkies)

She gave me Calypso, a Boer stud doe, as a bottle kid. She thrived, I joined her this year, and she just keeps aborting early on ...

She sold me Charlotte, Boer stud doe, as a weaner, I joined her this year and she had :boy: :boy: , which were born by caesarian.

She sold me Dragon, a Boer doe in kid, she had :boy: :boy: :boy:

She has recently sold me Vanity in kid, who is due Nov 23rd and it will be interesting to see what she has. It had better not be :boy: :boy: :boy: :boy:

She just sold me Delicious, a Boer weaner doe not in kid. I will join her March 09. Interesting to see what she has!

Anyone else heard of things like this?? I think its funny (even though it is annoying at times ...)

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I think I would die w/out my doe kids! I could definately see how that is frustrating.:worried: Hopefully you will get a girl and end this chain of boys.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have sort of, i bought a really nice doe who had recieved two of her three legs towards her permanant championship. I paid with her with the garuntee of a doe kid back to the original owner. Her first year she had a single doe kid. the original owner sold that doe kid. Lark came to me bred. She had a very complicated delivery, having two live buck kids and a dead doe kid. The next year she was bred to a different buck. Hoping the man would get his doe kid. I came home only to find two huge buck kids one evening. The next year yet another buck. A really nice solid black buck named truman. i was really excited about this breeding, lark went into labor on a day i was home with the flu. Mom came running in to tell me she had just let out a loud scream. went tripping down there in my pj's to find a kid half out. Got it the rest of the way, and sure enough another boy. the second came a few moments later. Yep you guessed it another boy. lark died from heart complications later that year.
    beth

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would tell you friend to maybe put some vinegar in the water for her bucks. it's kinda a superstition i have but it worked for me.

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    SDK, Linda has plenty of doe kids herself, its just the ones she sells to friends!!

And the vinegar thing has no science backing it up ... you may or may not know that ... yet I do know of people who do it. Being a science student myself I dont do it.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    haha.. well i know theres no science, but the one year i had like 4 people wanting does and i got all bucks.. i def did the vinegar thing when i bred them all and i got a very decent amount of does.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would be frustrating!!
    It's certainly odd though as we all know it's the sire that determines the sex of the kids...I only ever used 2 bucks in the 6 years I've been breeding...the first buck Skippy, was bred to my 2 does, 3 doelings his first time, secong time was 2 doelings and 4 bucklings!
    My current pygmy buck Hank has been the main man til last year...in his 4 years he was bred to my 3 does and gave 4 bucks and 2 does, 2nd time same 3 girls he gave 4 does and 4 bucks, 3rd time was with the same 3 plus 2 outside does,3 bucks and 7 does, 4th time was with 1 of the original does and gave 2 does....my first timer Chief gave a total of 3 does and 6 bucks...I had one of my original does give 3 bucks from him and 2 "outside" does each had twins..B+D and B+G....I had one of my originals breed with pygmy and nigi..she had one doeling born "nigi" while the other 2 were ALL pygmy???

I personally think the "young" bucks tend to throw more :boy: than :girl: ...the older they get they seem to even out...I can usually predict what I will end up with each freshening....I just hope the outside buck my reg doe was bred with has a "doe" year!