The Buckling **pics of dam's udder**

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by NubianLover, Nov 3, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Ok, here are some udder shots on the dam of the buckling.
    I misunderstood the person and thought she said that the doe was a FF but went back and reread and she hasn't measured her milk production since she was a FF. Anyways, here is her udder as a FF.
    [​IMG]

And here is her udder a few years back. She mentioned she was nursing triplets both times.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, what do you think?

Thanks! :hug:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    In honesty - I would NOT purchase a buckling from that dam. IMHO I feel that they should be wethered. The capacity is not there, there is no attachment at all, Teats are outside and not centered.....

3. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Did you already buy the buckling?

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea.. i would pass.. she is NOT a doe that should be putting bucks out there

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    No I have not. But if it's that bad then I will pass....

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    It is so....floppy. Each side looks like one of those bags with the corner cut off to put decorative icing on cakes. No bueno.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Personally, I think for what ever amount you were going to pay for a buckling, you could find one that was of better "buck" material. Saying that though - there are some things that I would ask .... how many hours fill does she have there and how far into her lactation and what lactation is she currently on .....

I know that a super full udder would not help the teat placement - but I would really like to know lactation number and hours full - but if I had to say at this point from those pics, NO, I would NOT purchase a buck from that doe

8. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Allison,
    I am assuming that she had the kids on her and in the photos was not full. From what I understand this person does not milk the does until the kids are gone. I doubt that she would know how many days into lactation as it's been a few years.

9. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Oh good! Yes... I'd have to vote pass.

10. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I will admit I am glad I asked for opinions. I tend to jump into things without thinking. So I do thank you very much for stopping me :hug:

However, I will now admit to stressing about my other buck. He does have great lines (bought him from same lady) but he is a Loveland buck, not of her breeding. I did email Loveland to see if they could offer me any information on pedigrees as I cannot find photos online.

In the spring I will definately be looking at other goats, but will only buy with opinions first. :wink:

11. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    NubianLover,

But IMO even does with kids on them that have good udders still look good, Hers will stay floppy either way because the lack of support and attachments.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah I have to agree on passing.

there is no dilination of the teats (meaning no distinction of where the teat ends and the udder begins) there is good medial division but no medial support. rear height is lacking as well as teat placement (thats where the medial support comes in).

seh did improve though from her FF to later -- but I would still pass

13. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thank you. :hug:

Now to tell her I changed my mind on him :oops: I feel guilty, but I don't want a buck that may pass on a bad udder.

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    To be honest...I wouldn't even buy a doe kid from her...let alone a buckling. I'm glad you are choosing to pass on him. ;)

15. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    That's where I admit to rushing/making mistakes on my part :oops: I have learned my lesson.
    However, the buck I did purchase from her is from a Loveland doe and the buck is not one of hers.
    I have already purchased 2 doe kids from her. I am a little concerned now to how their udders will look when bred.... especially since the one doeling is this doe's kid. This year they are too young.

I don't really know how to back out of one goat let alone 2.... especially when I made the mistake of saying I would take both of them. :shrug: And yes, I am definately thinking it would be best to back out on the doeling....

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Just kindly tell her your situation has changed and that you no longer are interested in purchasing the kids. Now if you want the doeling you can say "I will pass on the buck at this time since he is related to one of my does and I want a more versatile herd" or something like that.

Or you could say "Im looking to branch out into new bloodlines and I have decided that though the offer you have given me is very generous I am going to have to pass because these two goats are so closely related to what I already own"

This allows you to purchase from somewhere else without worrying about her finding out say if you had told her "Im not in the market to purchase at this time" or something like that.

17. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
  18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no problem

Always remember to be truthful in situations like this, you never know when you may need them (and I say this loosely and to everyone who may be dealing with purchasing and selling). It can backfire on you if you are dishonest. sometimes honesty hurts but it is so much better then a lie.

You can also tell her that "honestly I made a hasty decision in communicating to you I would take these goats. After seeing the udder for the buckling's dam I am hesitant to add him as a herd sire as his dam's udder isnt strong in the areas I am looking to improve in my does (or to have in my does - depending if you know what they need improvement on or not). So I will have to regretfully change my previous affirmative and now pass on the purchase. Thank you for your generous offer I really do appreciate it though"

This way you are honestly telling her why you are not purchasing and second you aren't bashing the mother doe and hurting her feelings.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: I wholeheartedly agree, I would rather be dealt with honestly and "gently" than to be lied to.

A "gentle" reason as to changing your mind would be as Stacey said, you're looking to get a different type of udder on future doelings and the buckling in question won't be able to give you what you are wanting in your herd.

20. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    How long has it been since you told her you would take the kids? Have you put down a deposit? I definitely agree, if these kids aren't something that will better your herd to pass on them. But if she's taken these kids off the market for weeks holding them for you I'd expect to lose your deposit for sure. I do agree though... for a dairy doe (heck for any doe) not a great udder. :(