The cashmere undercoat

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Fibers' started by rebelshope, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I have 1 pgy and 3 nigi, one of which is a buck if that matters. I had a crazy idea to try and harvest their cashmere undercoat next spring and try spinning it. I wanted to do that before I went out and got a special goat just for spinning to see if I like it. Will is be possible or is it just too crazy.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well as a Cashmere breeder, I have to tell you that you will NOT get a good idea about spinning fiber from that fiber. Cashmere fiber is hard to spin in the first place when it comes from a true cashmere goat because it is shorted them lets say Mereno or something like that. In order for it to really be called Cashmere fiber it has to be 1-1/2" long ans i have to tell you what they produce will only be about a 1/2" to 3/4",. That is only good for felting. It would be ALMOST impossible to spin.

3. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thanks! Maybe I will try some needle felting then.

I keep thinking about getting some fiber animals, but I don't know anything about selling the fiber. Where to sell it, who to talk to to sell it or anything.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    It is a lot just work of mouth. I have had the Colorado State Fair or the Estes Park Wool Market champions for years, so people know I have good goats and Cashmere. It has been a long road to get that way but it is well worth it.