The Christmas Eve Miracle

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by helmstead, Dec 25, 2008.

1. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    Our last doe to kid this year, Annabelle, went into labor at 11 Christmas Eve.

Long story short, we had another mispresentation - a nasty bad one. This season has been wrought with problems. She had a single kid. We got it out, but it was limp and lifeless. It was a lot of work and praying, but we brought this little one back. It took an hour between birth and nursing, another 30 mins before it was really acting like it should.

So, here is our little no name! It's a jet black doeling with a little top knot...so cute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh a little Christmas miracle! Very pretty! She must be a fighter and bless you for not giving up on her. Good show and Merry Christmas!

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont want to criticise you in any way, so please dont take this the wrong way.

The ability of the kid to get itself into the right position before parturition is dependant on the level of nutrition available to the kid. If the nutrition is not of a sufficient level the kid will be unable to turn itself into the correct position.

If you are having multiple malpresentations, I would suggest you look carefully at your feeding regimen, it may be your does arent getting the level of nutrition they require.

Again, I dont mean to criticise at all, just trying to help.

Congrats on the little doe, she's sweet!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Cute little girl. Congrats on getting her out ok.

Did you use the same buck on all your girls?

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    What a beautiful doeling!Glad all worked out. Have you figured out a name for her yet? Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful new year. My mom and I are the only ones out of bed here.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OOOOHHHHHHHH,What a doll. Congratulations.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats on the little one.... I hope that she pulls through completely and your luck will turn.

Take care!

Allison

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    That is a wonderful Christmas gift indeed! I'm so glad you were there to help that little one.

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She is so sweet! :love: So sorry about another bad kidding. At least you have a baby from it!

When we were raising reg. Pygmy goats (we still do a little) we'd look very closely at the size of kids a buck would throw. Some bucks, very often, throw big, over-developed babies. We'd look very closely at the offspring (if he had some) and also his kidding lines (was dam, grand-dam an easy kidder and such). Just a thought, maybe to consider in using certain bucks in your breeding program. We were fortunate to have a buck who threw tiny 2 lb. babies that were very healthy! :)

10. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Oh What a cutie!! I am glad that you did not give up on her!

11. helmstead

helmstead New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Alfordsville, IN
    No offense taken at all, Keren, and thanks for trying to help!

My first thought was that perhaps I'm overfeeding my girls and the kids are growing too large. I admit...they're a wee chubby. In retrospect, though, I really think it's the new buck. I have several does due to him next spring, so we'll have to see how that goes. Two of 5 kiddings went textbook, then these three last kids had large heads and were pretty darn big overall. The first two we had to assist with were diving, but elbows back. The heads were just so large they couldn't stretch out and fit through. This last doeling...all that presented was her head, both legs back.

Given that I've never had a kidding problem from these does...I'm going to breed them to different bucks next time, change nothing else and see what happens.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    you could name her eve! hahah

very cute

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    the other thing to look at is your nutrition and body condition score at joining. When the doe is mated she should be condition score 3 on a scale of 1 to 5 with 1 being emaciated and 5 being obese. She should also be on a rising plane of nutrition and if both of these happen the chances of multiples are significantly increased. It does sound like your problems are due to having big single kids not smaller multiples. Of course, there is also a genetic component which your bucks and does will either have or not, but the nutrition factor is far more influential.

eve is a cute name for her :)

15. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    She's beautiful. Noel would be a cute name too.