The circus of giving shots

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 23, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK, so today was the day to give shots and shave udders on the bred goats. Everyone but the specific goats would get on the milk stand and stay there. I kept having to knock goats out of the way. Yes I know it would have been much easier if the milk stand was in a secluded area, but I don't have that luxury just yet. These goats I was after have horns and they really do make good handles but these goats are very strong and heavy. I felt like I was wrestling an elephant. They would plant their front feet and no amount of prodding would move them along. DH finally had to get behind and use his knee in the butt. I ended up putting the feed in the pan while holding horns and picking up the front feet, locking the head into the head gate, and then picking up the back end. I then had 3 other goats trying to eat the feed in the pan. I kept knocking them out of the way so I could check this goat over and give CD&T shot. I could not shave the udder cause the batteries in the trimmer were too low. I did find out that Tilly's udder is a bit smaller than my eyes had imagined. I figure we will go until her due date of 2/20/09.

HK Tracy was a different story. Tracy is wild and mean with foot long horns. Her udder is about the same size, maybe slightly larger but this will be her 2nd time. Last time she had a single who nursed 1 teat so shes a bit lopsided. Shes filling nicely and the udder is evening out a bit. The larger teat is still larger right now and we will take care of that after she freshens. Tracy sat down and danced on the stand so we will use hobbles and a bucket. Shes not due till the first of March.

Both goats finally got their shots and a really good checking over. I could see babies kicking in both their belly's. Both have nice red eyelids but they have coarse hair. Looks like I need to get some copper into them. I usually just give the minerals when I feed but I suppose there is something to leaving it out free choice. Project for tomorrow will be making a mineral feeder.

I was going to trim feet but that will have to wait for another day. I was wore out after that circus event. I will keep putting them on the stand to get them used to me messing with udders and such. Maybe I can mellow Tracy out a little this way.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like you had a WONDERFUL day!

I am so not looking forward to doing shots next week! My bucks are due before the end of the month and so are my dry does/yearlings. I try and get all the nsties done within the day....the bucks are the only ones that fight me when I try to get them on the stand....thankfully I have a gated area of the barn that allows me to "stall" the next goat so it's easier to get them on and off without "help" from the others.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The little buckling doesn't seem to mind getting his shots or his feet done. DH just sits down on the ground, Jacob lays his head in his lap and allows me to do whatever I need to do.

I am going to put them in the milk stand again tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, this will be another fun day. The babies are getting disbudded at 9am. The man I got them from is coming to do it and show me how.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    where do you give the shot? why do you need the goat on the stand?

the vaccination we use over here (called 8 in 1 / heptovac ) you are supposed to inject SC into the neck. I find it easiest to hold the goat beside me with its head beside my leg, to give the shot. That way if they move, me and the needle can move too. While if they're in the milking stand and move, who knows what could happen?? the head gate might hit the needle or something... *thinks horror thoughts*

LW

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Way to go with your goat wrangling! Sounds like you had a lot to do. I did 8 of mine last night with booster vaccines, wormings, and hooves. It takes alot of time and a lot of getting them used to it - but they will come around for you. I start shaving udders in a couple weeks - I have nver done it, so we will see how that goes! LOL!

I give all my vaccines on the milkstand including trimming hooves and deworming. It gets them used to it, and eventually I can call their name, open the gate, and tehy run straight to the milkstand and stand there. It makes it so much nicer and easier.

I give vaccines where the leg connects to the body, SQ. I always give the same shot in the same area, so that if there is ever a lump or reaction, I know exactly what was given. Learned that with working in the clinics. Also, I give it there, because the movement of the legs disipates the vaccine and causes less vaccine lumps.

6. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    Sounds exhausting! At least you don't have to do it very often!