The dead goat trick

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by artzkat, Mar 12, 2009.

1. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Does anyone else have goats that play dead???? (or other equally mean tricks)I have two goats who seem to think it is hilarious to scare me out of my wits. They will lie in the pasture, with heads thrown back, legs stuck out, tongues hanging out and usually groaning or wheezing..then when I run out there, frantic, sure that they have bloat or something else horrible..jump up, just as I get there and bounce away, laughing at me.
    Today one of them threw herself on the ground, thrashed around, rolled over on her back and just laid there with her legs folded up and her head rolled back. She waited until I got to her and touched her..then whammo..up she jumped, tossed her head , kicked up her heels and contentedly scampered up to the hay bin.

It's just these two..the others all act like "normal" goats..whatever that is.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my thats to funny -- scary too :scratch:

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I wonder if her tummy flipped. She may have thrown herself on the gorund and rolled around thrashing and kicking her legs to unflip it. I know you can do this with great danes and sometime save the. I have heard that some goats have this problem also. Its called something torsion I think.

I am glad that this time it was just a scare and that she was OK.

4. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    Actually, I sheared them about a week ago and had to put coats on them because it turned cold. My hunch is that the hair is growing and the coats are getting itchy and all she was doing was rolling around on the ground getting a good scratch and just got on her back and liked it there. She's my herd queen and a real sassy pants. These little Pygoras are really really full of mischief. They steal my hat or gloves..even my keys out of my coat pocket and run off to the far end of the field and drop them...then run back to steal something else. I had no idea that goats had such a sense of humor...or are mine just unusually tricky?

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I've got one of those too. I've literally run, in tears, to the goat pen thinking she was dead the way she was laying (head twisted back, legs in weird positions) and I'd be calling to her and she wouldn't move. Then, when I'm just a few feet away she sits up, grins (you know what I mean!) and comes running to me. ARGH!

6. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Are you sure there is no fainter in there backgrounds. Boss raises and breeds fainters and that sounds like something that happens a lot with them.

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I know there is no Fainter in mine. They just like to mess with me... silly girls.

8. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We had an American Nubian that played dead and she had a false labor to boot, I had to go in the pen and tap on her to wake her up, silly goat!

9. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    This reminds me of an uncle of mine. He used to embarrass the heck outta the whole family when we'd all go out to dinner. However, once he went through treatment & got dried out, the symptoms disappeared.