The doe is not coming in heat...

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Hasankhurshid29, Jul 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hasankhurshid29

Hasankhurshid29 New Member

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Hi

I have 2 gulabi does. I bought them last year when they were only 3 to 4 months old. Now one of them gets stronger and she was going in heat for last 2 months so I bred her. Whereas the other goat is not strong whereas both are given same feed. And she is also not going in heat. Her teats are also smaller than the other one. My main concern is why she is not going into heat?

2. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    She sounds like she might be incomplete, but possibly might be a hermie (both a big and a girl). When I had a doe that would never cycle it was suggested to me to put a speculum in and see if I could get in 3” or more. She had a very small vagina so I just put some lube on my finger and tried and couldn’t get more then a inch.
    A hermie usually they act and kinda look like a buck. Does she have this going on? I know here in the USA we can send a blood sample in to test for this, it might be worth looking and seeing if you have this where you are

goatblessings likes this.
  3. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    She don't act as a buck but more as a peaceful girl.

4. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    For hermie, she should have some male parts???

5. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yes but not always where you can see them. I would start with checking to see if she is complete. She sounds just like the doe I had. She was just a calm sweet girl

6. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    IMG_20200731_151132925.jpg IMG_20200731_151151295.jpg

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Goats are individuals. They mature at different rates. If she is deficient in minerals or has a heavy worm load, that can affect them too.

Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.
  8. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
  9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Are you sure your not missing her heats? Maybe she is not as vocal and obvious about it. I’m seeing a little dried gunk on her tail and above her udder such is common when they come into heat unless she has loose stools.
    Are you holding her away from the buck and just waiting for her to come into heat? She doesn’t look odd to me at all back there.
    This doe is over a year old, that’s pretty old to simple not be matured yet.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    I don't have buck here. I have to go to a farm to get them bred like I did with the other one when I notice that was her 2nd heat

12. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    I don't have buck here and I am a beginner to goat caring so I only know the signs of heat through this forum and google search. My other goat bleats too much so it is easy to recongise her heat. But I didn't see this one acting like that.
    Yes one thing some days she becomes a little aggressive not want me to touch her but again it is not consistent

13. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    I don't know about deficiency of minerals. I feed her whole grain wheat and jantar (readily available here).
    Also she was dewormed too.

14. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    One more thing is that I have wether for one week and she was together with them but nothing happens (no visible interest shown). Whereas the other doe was sometimes smelling the wethers male parts.

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Very pretty goats! She may be more shy about showing that she is in heat. Can you take a cloth and rub it all over the buck? Get his smell on the cloth then seal it in a jar. Open it and let your doe smell it. If she wags her tail or acts in heat, then you know it's time to take her to the buck.

MadHouse, Ashlynn and Hasankhurshid29 like this.
  16. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    The teats of the smaller doe in the second photographs are quite normal for a doe that has never been bred. I would say the teats of the doe in the first photo are fairly abnormal and enlarged or swollen for some reason.

I would assume the smaller doe is normal, just with quieter heats. Try to make notes of dates where her behavior is just slightly different and eventually you should see a clear 21 day pattern and be able to bring her for breeding at the right point.

17. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I think she is just having silent beats.
    So can you talk to the owner of the buck about leaving her over there for a month? If not can you get your hands on CIDRS and PG600? They are hormones that you can time when she goes into heat. Not down to the minute or anything but enough you can narrow it down more and hopefully the buck owner will work with you on getting her bred.
    I bet you she is coming into heat though. My pen of doelings I have one screamer that I know the minute she comes into heat. Another that just flags a lot and the other 8 if it wasn’t for the gunk on their tails I would say they are not cycling at all.

toth boer goats likes this.
  18. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    Some days she become pretty agressive not allowing me to touch her. Maybe that are the days of her heat. Will keep record of those days and hopefully will found the pattern.

19. Hasankhurshid29

May 21, 2020
    Pakistan
    The buck owner don't want me to leave my does in his farm for a day only so month is out of question. Secondly I am pretty convince that she is experiencing silent heats. Also in our country I don't think hormones will be available and if they are, they will be pretty expensive.