The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 13 kids born this year- all between May 9 and May 14. 9 are bucklings. (Mostly a dairy herd).

I realized yesterday morning that I better get the horns burned soon, they were all getting the little horn bumps. So, I did all of them last eve! It took the better part of 2 hrs. I have two disbudders, so I could go pretty fast. But, I am stiff and sore this morning from all the bending, etc! (it's heck to get old!)

I had 2 kids (males) holler and carry on, the rest really didn't cause any trouble! I used the disbudding box as I have no one to help me! But, now I am done until next year! Yay! (I do hate causing them pain, but, since they will hopefully be 4-H kids and pets, they have to have no horns.)

No swelling and this morning all are running around like nothing happened! It is harder on me than them! I am fairly confident that I won't get any scurs- so far, there have been no scurs (that I know of) on the 50+ kids I've done over the past few years! (cross my fingers!)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I hate it too! I always tell myself that I need a Xanax or something before I do it! LOL

·
Registered
124 Posts
when do you disbud? I have kids from 5/14/13 and the boy I can feel his the girl I can't.

·
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine were all about the same age and horn development- so I did them all! Usually between 10 days and 2 weeks old.
I guess some breeds might have later development - if you can feel the bumps you can disbud them! (unless they are newborns! lol)

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
i started disbuddingg last year and ive probably.done 30 or so kids. 3 ended up.with little.button.scurs - the type that stay small, wiggle, and they bump.off from.time.to time. they usually.dont poke through the hair you can just feel them.

one.kid did have a big scur that needed to be re burned - she was a small quad and i didnt burn her until two weeks.

i have the best success with no scurs if i do them at only a few days old. the longer i leave them, the more.likely.i get scurs.

i should add i have saanens.and nubians. most of the time my saanen.kids are born with horn.buds, so i do them the day after they are born. the nubes take a bit longer but i get best results if i burn them.by day 4 or so.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
i forgot.to say, i find they recover so.much better.wjen they are tiny. once they are older i have to burn them longer and they take it harder.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
surveyman it is up tk you whether you disbud or not. if you like their horns to catch them then dont disbud :)

i choose to disbud for a range of.reasons including because i show so they have to be disbudded.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
It's always great to get it done! :woohoo:
Surveyman, I wish I could leave mine with horns. I drool over a handsome rack.
But we have small children around here often, and we just can't take the risk.
My wether does have horns, and I always watch carefully when he is around children. He's really sweet but can be pushy sometimes!
Ain't he handsome!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts