The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tickfaw tore up the last pen that would hold him today. That's it. Enough. He's gotta go.
I would haul his butt to the sale tonight and take the loss except I am on day 7 of active corona virus so I am probably contagious and definitely feel like crap. It may be vengeful on my part but I am afraid he's gonna have to stay tied up to a tree or something until I sell him. Which means pretty much no shelter. I have to figure something out before the weather goes to crap again on Tuesday. The only option I see right now is a transport cage in the shed. It's about 4' wide by 6 feet long and it's 4 feet high with a lid. When he's not in there, he'll have to be chained or leashed. Sucks to be Tickfaw but I don't see any other alternatives right now. I cannot let him run loose.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I would put him in the Transport cage over tying up. They can get hurt being tied up. I understand your anger. They can be SUPER FRUSTRATING...like sticking your head 3xs in the same place and being stuck all night! :ahh:Argggggg. Dumb doe.. :shrug: But if you want to sell him..he needs to be looking good for $$$$$$. K? So please put him in their..until you can sell him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would put him in the Transport cage over tying up. They can get hurt being tied up. I understand your anger. They can be SUPER FRUSTRATING...like sticking your head 3xs in the same place and being stuck all night! :ahh:Argggggg. Dumb doe.. :shrug: But if you want to sell him..he needs to be looking good for $$$$$$. K? So please put him in their..until you can sell him.
Ummm. No. Here is where we'll differ...although tying out can be dangerous.

I keep goats tied up/ tied out fairly regularly. He is actually happier on his tether than in the cage. As long as I have been raising goats, I have learned the safest ways for me to tie out: They are inside a completely fenced yard - no predators. They are either staked to a 6 foot/no climb fence where they have 180 deg. of free space or tied overhead (12 ft. up) with 360 deg. free space. They have a bicycle innertube built into whichever system they are on that does not allow them to hit a hard limit at the end of the tie. This prevents neck injuries or whatever injury they would get hitting the end of the line hard and fast. They have nothing to tangle with or hang themselves on. The only issue is lack of shelter. He has a water pan in reach and stinks of the wild onions he's eating. He's on a 16 ft + 2 foot innertube tie, so about 36 feet of range. He can talk to Bev and her babies but can't get to her pen. Em3, the goat the herd banished, is actually tied across the yard, she is totally ignoring him and browsing on leaves.
I can't keep an uninjured goat in a cage 24/7 and I can't let this guy run loose. It will be at least 10 days before I can sell him as I am sick and quarantined until at least the 13th. I truly have done this for years (30) and also believe he'll be in better sales shape if he gets activity and sunshine. I used to tie goats down my fence for mowing purposes and had to quit due to nosey/wellmeaning people honking and screaming at my house that my goats were loose....
I am also frustrated because I had pretty much decided to keep him for another season and now I'll have to find another buck.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I agree... when done properly, tethering is a good option. I kept a goat on a tether for years and he was very content.

Can you build a makeshift lean-to or set up a tarp shelter near a wall? As long as he's dry and has a place out of the wind he should be ok.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can always learn new things. Goats can be the most frustrating creatures. Right now I will cage him during bad weather, with lots of bedding to prevent sores/absorb goat-juice.... Moers is right about how dangerous tethering can be. I know of at least 2 goats that I sold in the past who died of hanging.
I am not sure he would leave shelter parts alone given his history with fences. Right now he's leaning at the end of his rope trying to sweet talk the new mama penned nearby but she's ignoring every bit of him.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I have learned alot about tying out a goat from you. Who would have thought about useing a inner tube. How smart. Its amazing how all of your years of owning goats.has taught you so much. I have tons to learn. On the above.12 ft ..do you use a pole? Or like a outside clothesline?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have learned alot about tying out a goat from you. Who would have thought about useing a inner tube. How smart. Its amazing how all of your years of owning goats.has taught you so much. I have tons to learn. On the above.12 ft ..do you use a pole? Or like a outside clothesline?
It's an old tire swing that I removed the tire from. I have a braid loop in the end. I have ancient live and water oak trees that extend way out from the trunk. I just attach goat to whatever lead to tire to rope. I'll take pictures when I am not so sick.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never tried a zip line because I didn't know what the goat would do at the end-posts. The closest I have done is a dog cable snapped across a fence corner. That worked pretty well. Again, depends on the fence height/type because the main consideration is that the goat not be able to get up on the fence to go over the top and hang itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts