The Goats are switching places with the Chickens...Q's!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by lupinfarm, Mar 7, 2010.

1. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

We're in the process of cleaning out the goat shed and the ice shed. The goats currently reside in a 6ft x 6ft shed and the chickens reside inthe 13ft x 16ft ice shed. I want to switch them around at the end of today.

I'm disinfecting both buildings with VIRKON disinfectant, but the goats will be using the old chicken run and obviously I can't disinfect the ground. It's just dirt/chicken poop in there now and my hens are dewormed regularly. I can disinfect the posts and rails on the fence, but thats about it.

Should I be as concerned as I am? I pretty much have nothing on hand to buy anything for the run, and I don't have any money. I DO have DE though!

Heeelllppp, goatie brains are moving in tonight!

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I know that people are concerned about goats getting cocci from chickens. And it has happened. However, with my limited 3 yrs. of goat keeping I've had my Nigis in my chicken run 24/7 with zero health issues. The chickens roost in their coop at night and the Nigi's have their separate house at the other end of the chicken run. But during the day they share the run. I keep the run mucked up and don't let the chickens poo in the water pail or in the hay feeder.

Also, my chickens free range most every day and get into the milk goat stalls with them and I've never had a goat get sick from that either.

So, if you clean up the ground really well and sprinkle some DE on it I think it will all be just fine. Ideally I'd let it set for a couple days without any animals on it before moving the new new animals in but that may not work for you.

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Ditto to Cinder. You should be alright switching them around. I've kept chickens with my goats and never had an issue other than the occasional stepped on chicken toes, but you won't have that problem.

4. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas
    You shouldn't have any problems. Cocci is actually species oriented anyways. It's good to disinfect anyways.

5. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks loads guys! I figured they'd be alright, earlier in the winter I had the goats campin' out in the "feed" area of the chicken shed. They have a whole 13ft by 17ft of space now! They're quite out of sorts and I don't think Cissy has done much with her grain tonight, Mione was munchin' away but Cissy was dozing in the hay in the corner lol. I cleaned the place with Virkon, DE'd it, and put down some pine pellets and shavings because thats all I had on hand, and made them a bed out of hay :)

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Mine hang out in one of the occupied chicken coops in preference to any of the three shelters I made for goats. Doesn't seem to bother chickens or goats or the Pyrs that enjoy reclining in there as well.

7. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    I recently found this site that was really helpful to me to understand Cocci. It answered a lot of questions that I had, although I still have more! http://attra.ncat.org/new_pubs/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html?id=Alaska
    It talks most about poultry, but a lot of the info pertains to goats or any other animal.
    When you say DE, are you guys talking about Diatomaceous Earth?

8. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    It would not be a bad idea to put down a 10% solution of bleach over the ground of the chicken run.

9. lupinfarm

lupinfarm New Member

Thanks a bunch guys for all the great advice. The goats made the move that weekend, and settled in excellently! They haven't been in the little yard out back because the ground has been frozen and I need to make it bigger first, IMO. Instead they've been going into a 12ftx20ft pen behind our garage, which has proven useful because it means now they're mostly leash trained LOL.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Everyone had such great advice.... Glad the transition went well.... :wink: :greengrin: :thumb: