The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goats walk on a small island the whole day without supervision, and in the evening come back home and here one goat returned with the swollen face. Was it a wasp, a bee, or a snake? The behavior of goats has not changed, no loss of appetite, feces normal.
DSC_1653.JPG
DSC_1652.JPG
DSC_1654.JPG

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
A snake bite you will see 2 fang hole bites. A bug bite or sting, one lumped area, with maybe a wound spot.
I would give benadryl and see if that helps. Go by adult dosage. Give as directed as to how often. Until getting better.

I don't think it is bottle jaw as it is usually a even swelling, both sides, I see it is one sided.
If it came up fast and was OK before the adventure, I say it is some reaction type event.

Tooth abscess or feed stuck in there is also possible. Be careful with the teeth and go in and feel and check if food is in there, if so, grab it out. If it is, you should immediately see it gone. a loose tooth or infected tooth you may see swelling and redness.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
A snake bite you will see 2 fang hole bites. A bug bite or sting, one lumped area, with maybe a wound spot.
I would give benadryl and see if that helps. Go by adult dosage. Give as directed as to how often. Until getting better.

I don't think it is bottle jaw as it is usually a even swelling, both sides, I see it is one sided.
If it came up fast and was OK before the adventure, I say it is some reaction type event.

Tooth abscess or feed stuck in there is also possible. Be careful with the teeth and go in and feel and check if food is in there, if so, grab it out. If it is, you should immediately see it gone. a loose tooth or infected tooth you may see swelling and redness.
I, too, thought tooth abscess. But this sounds very sudden, still a possibility though.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@ReNat I concur that a reaction to a bite or a sting seems most likely here.
You may not have the recommended product where you are, so here is a page about it. If you know what it is, you can more easily find your equivalent. It is a human medicine, so don't look for it in animal stores.
https://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html
How is the little one doing today?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ReNat I concur that a reaction to a bite or a sting seems most likely here.
You may not have the recommended product where you are, so here is a page about it. If you know what it is, you can more easily find your equivalent. It is a human medicine, so don't look for it in animal stores.
https://www.drugs.com/benadryl.html
How is the little one doing today?
Today I more carefully looked over its and can say the next, swelling on are firm, comes to throat, in mouth have goats all ОК her teeth clean, on the lower leftist claws found one a small wound with blood the crust and dismantled a tick, a tick was a small without abdomen, not can say is whether this a tick cause of tumor. The ticks I removed from the goats often, but the tumor see for the first time. Behavior goat good, runs round and leaps once, eats actively.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really strange.

Did you try benadryl?

The sore, can you get any puss out of it at all?
Yes, the Benadryl we have in Russia there are anti-Allergy remedy, on Monday I'll give it a try.

This year for me was getting the pliers, once had a swelling and very itchy the place where the tick was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts