The Great White Whale...

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    is about to find herself a new home or as hubby threatens on the BBQ pit.

That heifer is driving me crazy, she is the 5yr old pygmy/ND cross that I got free from the local petting zoo. She is tame and as friendly as can be, but since she was breed, she thinks she is a he.

As her bag is progressing nicely we brought her home and put her in a birthing pen, she chased Flower around pawing, talking like a buck and mounting my poor Flower. We moved Bluebonnet in yesterday afternoon, so Mazie decided ohhh new toy and started chasing her around.

Well Blue kidded last night, Mazie was fine with the babies, no problem there, but she would not leave Blue alone, so we put her in the pen next to the kidding pen. Mazie decides that is not where she belongs and climbed over the fence, and went for Blue again. We ended up having to tie her to our backporch for the night and she will be going back to the doe pen at our other property.

I am really hoping that this is a hormonal (sp) thing and once she delivers that this will stop.

Mazie - pic taken 6-21-09 - she has lost quite a bit of weight since this photo - but she is still a chunk compared to my other girls.

[​IMG]

2. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I really believe this does play a part in their behavior (good/bad/annoying :sigh: ) while they are pregnant.

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I really hope so, I actually like this doe. She is very sweet natured, naturally polled, and just a doll most of the time.

But this new personality of hers is driving us crazy.

4. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Last year all of my girls got a little snippy at times, but I gave them the benefit of doubt, and they returned to their usual personalities after kidding. :)

5. Iwantgoats

Iwantgoats New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Missouri
    I have a doe that is just like this. She was at the bottom of the pecking order and docile, now she chases my other two does around and their afraid of her. I had to remove her from the area they were in. She's now confined to her own pen right next door and she seems to like it that way. Hopefully she changes back after she delivers.

6. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    This acting like a buck is just crazy, when she gets to talking she sounds just like one, then she paws, mounts, chases.

I never knew that a doe would do this, I am glad to hear that there is hope for her yet. Now my next questions is will she do this everytime she is bred?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ..does can change there demeanor when preggo...some are more docile, some stand off somewhat... as if they worry about being slammed, and the ones that want to throw around there new authority. It may happen each time of pregnancy, but it may not....you won't know.. until the next time..... The only way that Mazie will be satisfied is... to take blue on and get pecking order established.... If you decide to let them do this... don't have the kids around or any other goats...just the 2 and watch... to make sure things don't get out of hand.... After pecking order is finished .... Mazie won't be so eager to get at her.... :wink: :hug:

8. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We currently have a pregger doe that is doing this same thing. Also a rescue and a pygmy/nigi cross. She is stomping her foot, pawing at the other does, and doing the tongue wagging, chattering noise that the bucks make. I didnt know what to think. Glad to see that I am not the only one with this trouble. I was beginning to think that maybe she was a hermaphrodite or something. We have only had her for a couple weeks and she is in full udder and yesterday she lost her mucous plug. So we are playing it by ear for sure. We did pen her off seperately though, because we didnt know what we were dealing with, LOL.

9. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

My little troublemaker Daisy is very docile and dreamy eyed right now. :p A refreshing change from a little pain in the neck. :)
    I think she'll be fine after she kids . . . . But standing her behavior until then is another thing isn't it? :ROFL:

10. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    We have her penned seperately right now as she is getting close to kidding and basiclly she is driving me crazy over the baby monitor. LOL

I am going to wait till she kids to decide what to do with her but the odds are actually in her favor as she has a really nice personality and I like her quite a bit.

11. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Yeah, we are kinda the same way. Since we have only had her for a few weeks, we dont know any other personality other than this one. She did not act like that with the other goats she was with (Boars) where we got her from. Even though we didnt know anything about her, the people we got her from were desperate to get rid of her so we went ahead and took her in anyway and now are just waiting for the kidding. Surely it cant be much longer!

12. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Haha dont fool yourself, I have been waiting on her to kid for the past 2 weeks. It seems like she is taking forever to have those babies.

13. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I love her and her big handsome beard! :love: