The herd is leaving tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by dvfreelancer, May 13, 2010.

1. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    They are going to a new home where they'll have a 150 acres to roam under the care of their new owners teenage daughter.

The new owners have 10 already and they spared the last baby billy from getting the band. They want to breed him with the other group. :laugh: So Big Billy's genes will live on, along with his freakish intelligence, impish sense of humor and brute physical size. And, of course, that wonderful billy goat smell that can melt the paint off your tractor on a hot August day.

The response was amazing. I put what I thought was a pretty fair price on them.

- They sold in less than an hour.

- I had people trying to bid up the selling price.

- I have a stand-by buyer if the first one falls through.

It's with a touch of sadness that we'll be loading them up in the morning. I'll really miss them. I'm surprised how much they grow on you and I understand why in some countries the goats live in the house with the people while the dogs sleep outside. Something our dogs think is totally barbaric and refuse to believe is true.

The things I'll remember are bottle feeding the near frozen winter babies, with Stacey talking me through the triage on the phone. The sadness when they don't make it and the joy of having a bottle baby when they do.

The time I was working on the hay shelter and our billy put his head in the bucket and pulled out the only other hammer and started bobbing his head up and down with it in his mouth, like he was showing me he could do that too.

The day we came home to find them wandering down the street and grazing on the neighbor's decorative plants.

Sitting in the shade on the porch swing drinking iced tea while my neighbors are all out on their lawn mowers in the brutal heat.

The time our bottle baby wanted up on the couch and used the wife's dog as a spring board to vault herself up there. The dog was not amused but I sure was.

The way they would form up into a defensive formation when threatened, a phalanx of horns and tough hides. Alpha nannies out front, babies in the middle.

Trudging out in the driving rain and wind to free a stubborn nanny who got her head stuck in the hay rack.

And all the help and support I got here. If I need a goat fix, hopefully some of you live in Florida. We'll be south of Tampa, near Sanibel Island, for the summer. After that depends on whether any of the jobs I bid down there come through.

The good news...many of the ethnic markets carry goat meat. So I'll be able to get goat meat without paying shipping from California. Although in Florida, I'll probably be out hunting wild hogs. They tear up citrus orchards. Nothing better than a tasty pest.

Anyway, it's been fun. I'll stop in from time to time to say hi and maybe some of you could help proof read the goat chapters in the book.

:grouphug: :wave:

2. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    The goats got one final whack at the dominant species. The truck left an hour ago, we still have three goats. Little weasels refused to go in the catch pen and four of us couldn't herd them into a corner.

So now I'm waiting for it to rain so they go in the shelter, then I'm going to fence them in. Tomorrow I'll transport them in a big dog kennel to meet the buyer.

Clever little rascals. Sad in one way because two of the three were Patty's babies and she was having a fit in trailer. Not to worry, I'll have them re-united soon enough, but I had to laugh the way the goats managed to put one more over on us.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bittersweet how things turned out for you and your herd :hug:
    It is a plus and one more thing to ch alk up to a learning experience....you can now honestly say you have been a true "goatdad"....it is sad to see them go but you know they will have a good home.

4. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Just tried to pen them in the shelter and they danced away from that. It's become a test of wills now. I have opposable thumbs, a highly developed cerebral cortex and simple tools. They have lightning reflexes.

I'm determined to win.

Zer is no escape from zis camp.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    How about the lure of food. Give a last home poured meal. When they start to eat shut them in.

6. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Tried that. They're not falling for it. They wait until we're not around before walking up to the food. If one of us walks out there, they bolt.

I'm considering drugging them but don't know what to use. I want to slow them down, not hurt them.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    A couple beers calmed a wild buck down

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    :ROFL: :slapfloor: :ROFL: :slapfloor: hehehe I'm picturing a drunk stinky buck walking into walls!

Have you caught the others yet? How are you doing without the goaties? :hug:

9. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I caught them yesterday, no problem. Once I got one of them in the pen the rest were easy. The new owner couldn't meet me yesterday. Today we've got to meet or let them go so they can graze. There was enough hay left for yesterday but not today.

They really need to be back with the rest of the team.

10. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    By this time our three strays have been reunited with the rest of the herd. :leap: Today was quite an ordeal for them. Last night they had to spend the night in the hay shed during a thunderstorm, not the best place to be on the property, but they made it. Then this am they get stuffed in a extra large dog kennel and secured in the back of the truck. They kept looking in the back window like, "What on earth is this?" They had their chance to ride in a shiny new stock trailer, but nooooo. So they had to lump some tight quarters for a couple hours.

When they were driving off in the new owners truck, their noses just sticking up over the back of the tailgate, the look on their face was priceless. I may be the Devil they know, but watching me fade into the distance it appeared the Devil they know didn't look too bad right at that moment. But I've seen that "we'll never do it again" look before, it's a big, fat fib.

We didn't even take any chances transferring them from one crate to another. I wired the kennel latches shut and gave it away with the goats. It would have been a disaster if they had gotten loose in south Memphis. They'd head for high ground and the highest place around where we were would be the highway interchange. I could hear the news anchor. "What appears to be a goat deal gone bad triggered a five car pile up on I-240 today, backing Sunday afternoon traffic up for miles as three goats escaped their pen and darted into traffic. Police are seeking the identities of two men in connection with the incident who were spotted near the scene. "

No thanks. It would be like a bad remake of The Fugitive. Tommy Lee Jones yelling, "I want road blocks at 2, 6 and 12 miles from this spot right here. Send helicopters down both sides of the river, they'll be looking for water. I want a police cruiser checking every hay rack and kudzu patch from here to Birmingham. They didn't get out here on their own, they had to have accomplices. Hold anyone with goat poop in the back of their truck. Let's move, people! And somebody get me some coffee!"

Pictures of two nannies and a wether would be reeling off law enforcement fax machines, the BOLO going out over the data net.

The goats got one final lick in, they pooped all over the back of my truck. A little memento to remember them by. :devilish:

Ah, well. Time to go tune up the lawn mower. :wave:

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Let me know when the book comes out as you are a great writer.

Speaking of lawnmowers, are you sure that thing is going to even try to run after all this time of setting uunused? Think its really worth tuning up?

12. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks, I'll do that.

There are two small sections of the property the goats can't reach. Still had to mow those every couple weeks. One of them used to belong to the robot lawn mower...yes, I have a robot lawn mower. It worked great until the battery went dead. Not sure I want to spend the money to replace the battery cells. In the robot mowers glory days it was almost better than goats.

http://www.dangercollie.com/video/robomow.wmv

That was at our old place in town. We had cars almost get in accidents watching the mower. We almost had cars get in accidents watching the goats, too. Funny.

This is what we'll be living in the next couple years.

http://www.dangercollie.com/campermix.html

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WOW.... That new home on wheels is awesome, you won't be needing to mow anything living in that!
    Are you planning to buy another permanent home or build one?

I agree...reading your posts makes me wonder if you will make your awesome talent public, you have wonderfully detailed posts!

14. dvfreelancer

dvfreelancer New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I may have a bit of talent, it's the focus I need help with. But thanks. Yes, I'm going to do something "public" and you guys will be right up near the top of the list for the first peek.

I'm going to knuckle down and finish this book. I've written two others that didn't go anywhere.

And I'm going to do the documentary on mobile living.

After that maybe a documentary on building an off-grid concrete house. Though at this point I'm rethinking the whole housing paradigm. Buying a house means you become a servant to the house, the county, the insurance company, utility companies and the mortgage company. Anything that isn't bricks and sticks with a tar paper roof you'll have a hard time selling and even harder time building. It's a sucky process, a poor investment and really ties you down.

But whenever I have land that needs to be cleared, you already know how I'm going to get that done.

15. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    Wow I loved reading your posts.
    Saddened you needed to let them go but enjoyed every post.
    Im fully looking forward to that goat book.
    But it touched every emotion.
    I was sad and laughing at the same time.
    renee
    have fun with your new adventures.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    We are so going to miss you dvfreelancer. Sounds like you are going to have a wonderful time on the road. Congratulations. :cool:

Please poke in here every now and then and say hi, and let us know how you are doing. Maybe if you are coming into someones area here you could stop in and say hi in person.

Bye and please keep in touch :(