The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the story of San Clemente goats. Ill have to post it on a reply though. It's really long but I hope you read it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so in 1875 a man dropped off some goats on an island off the coast of CA called San Clemente. Lets just say they multiplied and skip a few years! So it is now the mid 1900's the U.S. navy is now in charge of the island where there are about 15,000 goats On a 57 square mile island. The U.S. navy wants this island for an air base so they go to a judge and say well these goats have to go because they are eating the endangered indigenous flower found no where else in the world (yet an air base on top of those flowers wouldn't kill them) :p anyway the judge says all right you can get rid of the goats. So the navy starts shooting the goats they are killing and killing but the goats just keep repopulating! Lets just say they took measures to the extreme... That's when the animal right act stepped in saying you can't do this these goats are now their own breed! So they went back to that same judge and the judge basically said wait wait wait you can't do that to the navy! So the navy said to the animal rights group fine you get rid of them!!! So they did but in the process of removing the goats from the island they stupidly neutered most of the males. And now there are about 500 SCI goats in the world making them endangered.

I know that was really long but please read it, it is very interesting!
The image I attached is the yearlings dad.[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the story -> Ok so in 1875 a man dropped off some goats on an island off the coast of CA called San Clemente. Lets just say they multiplied and skip a few years!

So it is now the mid 1900's the U.S. navy is now in charge of the island where there are about 15,000 goats On a 57 square mile island. The U.S. navy wants this island for an air base so they go to a judge and say well these goats have to go because they are eating the endangered indigenous flower found no where else in the world (yet an air base on top of those flowers wouldn't kill them) :p

anyway the judge says all right you can get rid of the goats. So the navy starts shooting the goats they are killing and killing but the goats just keep repopulating! Lets just say they took measures to the extreme...

That's when the animal right act stepped in saying you can't do this these goats are now their own breed! So they went back to that same judge and the judge basically said wait wait wait you can't do that to the navy! So the navy said to the animal rights group fine you get rid of them!!! So they did but in the process of removing the goats from the island they stupidly neutered most of the males. As a result they had to inbreed in order to save the breed. And now there are about 500 SCI goats in the world making them endangered.

The images attached are pictures of my San clementes.
Might not look like it in the pictures but they are deer like... I love them!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so in 1875 a man dropped off some goats on an island off the coast of CA called San Clemente. Lets just say they multiplied and skip a few years! So it is now the mid 1900's the U.S. navy is now in charge of the island where there are about 15,000 goats On a 57 square mile island. The U.S. navy wants this island for an air base so they go to a judge and say well these goats have to go because they are eating the endangered indigenous flower found no where else in the world (yet an air base on top of those flowers wouldn't kill them) :p anyway the judge says all right you can get rid of the goats. So the navy starts shooting the goats they are killing and killing but the goats just keep repopulating! Lets just say they took measures to the extreme... That's when the animal right act stepped in saying you can't do this these goats are now their own breed! So they went back to that same judge and the judge basically said wait wait wait you can't do that to the navy! So the navy said to the animal rights group fine you get rid of them!!! So they did but in the process of removing the goats from the island they stupidly neutered most of the males. And now there are about 500 SCI goats in the world making them endangered.

The pictures are of my SCI goats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts