The joys of breeding season

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Oct 2, 2009.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    we have smelly bucks, bucks breaking out of pens, beating each other up, worring if does in with bucks were breed with right buck. :doh: Wondering what doe will go with what buck, when said doe should meet said buck.

Then I have 3 outside does coming in to breed to two of my bucks, with a possible fourth. I did not expect the outside does this year as we are just starting out, have not advertised. But we seem to have lots of interest in two of our three bucks.

We have the also have the new birthing barn/pen being built at the house, sold two does that were not even advertised for sale. Got to love the grapevine in small towns. Trying to get the buck houses winterized, and now it does nothing but rain on the weekends.

Can I go on vacation until it is done. :shades: LOL, I actually would not have it any other way.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh.... but... it is so fun ...listening to the wonderful sounds...of ...."what".... "what's" in the morning ....with a cup of coffee and smelling the aroma's.... of that strong musky smell..pee uuu...LOL.... :D
    no........ I know it is a busy time......but we sure do... get beautiful kids ...out of it ...and it is so worth the while..... :wink:

3. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    I love sitting out listening to the bucks talk to the girls. Now when I have company it can be funny trying to explain what that sound is and why it is being made. :slapfloor:

Oh those babys are so worth all the trouble, there is nothing cuter that a baby goat bouncing around doing flips in the air.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Can't live with them can't live without them...haha Gotta love it.. :hair:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep. went through the same thing two weeks ago. :greengrin:

now everyones happy, pregnant and settled down. aww peace at last. :thumb:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Try having four smelly bucks all jealous because one has two! It's bad around here for rut! All you hear is sneezing and blubbering! But those cuties are worth it!

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Off the subject but not really. Do bucks smell worse than rams in rutting season? 'Cause my ram was pretty smellly...

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Honestly, I never knew that rams had a stench to them. But depending on the buck, some smell worse than others. I have one that hardly smells and the other ones smell bad. But outside of rut, my boys don't smell to bad. And now you can approach the door and when you get within 10 ft, you can smell it.

Honestly, I don't mind it. :thumb:

9. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Oh I am going to miss not having little ones this coming year. I will have to live vicariously through all of you. I remember when I first got goats I was talking to my neighbor who raises sheep. I told her I thought something was wrong with my buck because he smelled so bad. She laughed and told me he was peeing on himself. Well...those hugs and kisses stopped for awhile!!!! When I saw it for myself I was both shocked and amazed.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah I have one that is all yellow...and the other is shiny white except for backs of legs.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy buck Hank out does the nigi boys by a mile in the stink department! Teddy's face has finally started to grow hair again...he was raw from all the peeing on it! Having 3 bucks doing all the spitting and blubbering at the same time really makes the neighbor laugh...for a good while he had no idea what was making all the noise :slapfloor:

12. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    My little pygmy gets all the girls this year, he's so excited, lol. We're also finding that he's much more talkative than our kinder buck was, so he's pretty entertaining. Of course he's a bit stinkier than the kinder buck was too.

The bad part is that we sort of made him into a lap baby, and now that he's stinky, he still wants to be on your lap for some lovin' :doh: