The milking doe’s code

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by MadHouse, Apr 6, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Aww, she probably missed you!! So much for getting a day off!
    Day off for a farmer? Unheard of! (rofl)

2. Courtney De St Jean

Courtney De St Jean Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Lakeville, IN
    22. Practice your tap dancing skills to add challenge to the milker, wouldn't want them to get lazy
    23. Snort and give death stare if the treat does not meet expectations
    24. Step in the milking bucket just for funsies

Gooseberry Creek, Tanya and MadHouse like this.

3. MadHouse

25. When you get a new ingredient in your bowl that you looove, refuse to be milked after there is none left. If no more is added, go look for it yourself.

(I broke down and bought dairy ration to add to grain. After a whole year of being milked free standing, Willow now has to be hooked up to the leash, or she will jump off the table, looking for more goat chow!!! Addictions!)

Gooseberry Creek and Tanya like this.
  4. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    I adore this, especially the "stomp" ! Thank you!

Gooseberry Creek and Tanya like this.
  5. MadHouse

I assume you know this stomping business!?!?!?
    :nod:

6. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Oh yes! One of my girls is a big stomper when she doesn't get something she wants !

Gooseberry Creek and MadHouse like this.
  7. MadHouse

Goats!
    They crack me up!
    Mine can also tap dance, like someone else mentioned!

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    26. On a double stand, lean, as hard as you can onto your neighbor.
    When she is trying to regain her footing, eat her grain.

Gooseberry Creek, Tanya and MadHouse like this.
  9. MadHouse

(rofl)

10. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    All these made me chuckle and, as a new milker, not feel like a complete failure! Lol
    Our original doe LOVES to dump her bucket! She totally knows what’s she’s doing, too... she will angle her nose just a certain way and I will say her name “Athena, no no!” Then she will pause and give me a stare- depending on the day she will either proceed with the bucket flipping or think better of it and continue on eating lol

11. MadHouse

Oh, they got us, don’t they!?
    Because... we still want her to eat the grain, so we might fill the bowl up.

GloryBeHomestead likes this.
  12. MadHouse

27. Occasionally try to renegotiate your contract. You will be amazed the things the farmer comes up with, when you strike or act sickly (stand hunched and shiver).

Tanya likes this.
  13. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    28. If kicking and dancing doesn't work to get you more of the good stuff push forward as hard as you can and reach over and BITE whatever you can, if its hair give it a few good tugs!

29. If your milker is into discipline and gives you a pop for kicking be sure to act like your guts have been ripped out.

30. If you are on the market be sure anyone trying to buy you sees you behave like a wild animal before, during and after the stand.

Gooseberry Creek, MadHouse and Tanya like this.
  14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    31. Start giving the illusion that you are drying your self off- give less and less milk so your milker pretty much quits having any milk, then when she is really in a hurry, show her your over extended udder. Don't let her know that the real reason you rarely have milk is that those 2 late year kids that are in the group pen, aka. "The Thieves", have been nursing on you and you aren't anywhere near going dry!

Gooseberry Creek, MadHouse and Tanya like this.
  15. 12345

12345 New Member

Nov 22, 2020
    ohio
    hello,
    I have a dry doe that has mastitis. Can I use the ToDAY treatment on her? Can today be used on dry doe? I think it just the salt of the chemical that is in tomorrow. Am I, right? I can not find any place that has tomorrow right now, it says it on backorder everywhere I look.

16. 12345

12345 New Member

Nov 22, 2020
    ohio
    Can someone please message me how to post on the goat spot? thanks so much.

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    12345, To post to a section- Go to "Forums" located at the top of the page- then open up what section that you want to see. At the top will be in bold "Post New Thread". That is where you can start a new topic.

12345, you can use "Today" on a doe with mastitis, but first you need to wash and dry your hands, wash and dry her teats, then milk out all the mastitis milk that you can. When she is milked out (even if dry- get that infection goo out) then wipe the end of the teat and infuse the entire tube up into her teat. Massage it up into her udder and when both sides are done, massage the medication around in the udder. Do this twice a day for at least 3 days. After you do each infusion, spray her with "Fight Bac" teat spray.

A lot of people will recommend giving her garlic by mouth to boost her immunity etc. I am not familiar with the amount of garlic so I will leave that to others.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    I am going to be milking my first goats this spring. I'm reading this and I'm thinking, Lordy, what have I got myself into this time? :haha::bonk:

MadHouse likes this.
  19. Ana

Ana Active Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Gallatin TN
    (thumbup)(thumbup)(thumbup)(thumbup)
    Oh it’ll be fine. It’s fun really!

MadHouse likes this.
  20. Gooseberry Creek

Gooseberry Creek Active Member

Jun 3, 2020
    Florida
    Milk goats they said..It'll be fun they said...L0L!! I know that meme.

Oh I bet my oldest Lamancha the herd Queen is gonna be making up some of her own rules for me to add. I kinda dread milking her lol. Not only is she super devious but she is wicked smart. Not really a good combination with goats haha.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.