the mosies are trying to eat my babies

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by matu, Jan 5, 2011.

1. matu

matu New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    hi there im new to this site and new to keeping goats, we have 3 girls about 2 months old and there fantastic fun but the mosies think there rather tasty too and feast out on them big time . not knowing what to do ive been applying human antiseptic ointment for the sores on there ears for the last 2 days, i havent noticed but do goats grom eachother and am i doing any harm with this.

ps, there just pets to controll some weeds around the property.

2. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    Hi Matu, welcome!
    By Mosies I assume mosquitos?
    If yes, I used a really nice citronella/lemon grass spray from Hoegger's supply that worked really well. Someone here may have some better solutions for you.
    If the bites are getting to the point of sores, they will eventually get infected.

As far as grooming, my goats do not groom eachother.
    If I Mosie is something else, then I'll feel silly :doh:

Good luck,
    Caryn

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome... so happy... you are here with us.... :wave: :thumb:

I have to know what mosies is....sorry for being ignorant...LOL.. :help:

They have sprays and pourons and such ...that detour bugs... from nipping on the ears... just make sure mosies is listed on the product...

If it is freezing weather... where you are...it may also be frostbite......

Can you get... any pics of the ears?

No... goats dont groom one another.... they use each other.. to scratch though... :wink:

4. matu

matu New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    hi yes i mean mosquitos sorry about that,well the ointment seams to be working after only 2 or 3 days, i applyed it quite thickly so as to deter the little buggers and gave ther house a good clean out testerday, theres still lots of mossies around them but there not landing on there ears, thanks for the advice ill look into the sprays, im in new zealalnd and it summer here and hot so its not frost bite but thankyou.

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad your oitment is working.... :thumb:

It is winter here in California....and cold....I didn't know where you where from... :doh: Sorry about that...LOL :oops: :laugh:

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mosquitos are Alaskas state bird... no really!! LOL
    I use regular bug spray and cover their eyes while spraying

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL:

So Katrina....you cover the mosquito's eyes.... before you spray them?....sorry.... I couldn't resist... :laugh: :p

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes, I use just one leetle finger to cover the skeeter's multiple eyes before spraying ;) I try my best to get it all in their mouths :)

LOL

9. matu

matu New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    sorry about my spelling i should trun the lights on i guess, of course im talking about mozzies or sketters lol im not sure what mossies are either and new zealand is down the botton of the pacific under australia.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :ROFL: I knew it...LOL :laugh: :wink:

Hehe.... :laugh: I guess ...we all have different words for things..from all around the world.....I love it ... can't get enough of learning them.... :wink: some words.... are so fascinating and hearing them... is very enlightening..... :thumb: :hi5: :thumbup:

11. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    :p Skeetters are the state bird of MN too katrina....makes me glad for the cold weather, in a way.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep...when winter is here ...we want spring....with spring comes...summer ...and the dreaded skeeters.... follow.... :doh: :help: