The most upsetting news

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I got the worst news today, somthing I have never delt with and now I am at a loss of what to do.
    Lily had kids in November, I had the doeling sold to a frind's granddaughter. She had been waiting for this doe for months and months. Both kids got sick, doc said pneumonia, so we treated them, and when better gave shots for pasturella. Three weeks ago, the doe finally went to her new home! Her new owner was so excited to have her! She emailed me several times to say how she loved little Lily and how great she was doing...Well, the little doe died today. I got a call at work, the doe was found in her stall near dead this AM. The grandma brought her in and called me. By the time I called back, she was gone. The baby had been perfect until today. I feel just horrid, horrid! Poor little girl is crushed! This was a really nice Nigerian doe from great bloodlines, great show/milking/breeding doeling. Well, needless to say, we blame ourselves, so I talked to the vets at work, they seem to think it was injured. (the doe was in with a boer doe same age, but much bigger ofcourse) I feel like I should do something, give her a baby??Or atleast a big discount on a new baby.. also, I was afraid it was silent pneumonia, but the babies both got a clean bill of health from the doc, and had vaccines well before they went to the new homes.
    I have never had a baby die after I sold it, and I don't quite know how to take it..
    Any ides/advise would be helpful...thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First a BIG hug to you :hug: ok another :hug:

now I to would want to give her another out of the kindness of my heart if I had one available. Obviously none of use believe you to be responsible and I am not saying that but I totaly understand the desire (been there).

I think I would talk to them about it and see what they say. If you dont have any kids available then thats another story.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: I am so sorry! I have been in a situation where a doeling I sold ended up sick a few weeks later, Thankfully she recoveredwith TLC and meds...was thot to be the result of malnutrition in the womb or joint ill...even tho I dip cords :shrug: Anyhow, I felt so responsible and really heartbroke that this happened. Talk with the people, even though she was perfectly healthy when she left you, it is normal to feel responsible, if you feel that you have another to replace her, offer her at a discount.....or if they wish to, have them on the waiting list :hug:

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh. Poor little Lily!! :( :cry:

I agree with everyone else. If you have babies in the near future, offer a discount but please do not beat yourself up over this. It's happened to me before too. I felt so bad but in the end, it really isn't your fault. I know you made sure those babies were 100% better before they went to their homes. :hug:

Is there any way they can find out what was wrong? Did the Boer doe have horns?

5. rebecca100

rebecca100 New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    I am so sorry. The other day i gave a little doe to my neighbor's daughter and it died. I felt bad about it and was going to offer them another until I found out that their labs had ganged up and killed it. And she had the nerve to ask if I would give them another one for free! I think if it was found that there was something wrong with the baby then maybe you should offer a replacement at a discount or free or something, but, if the other goat or neglect caused it then I would personally sell them one at full price. I guess I sound mean, I don't mean to. I guess I am just still irritated at my neighbor! :(

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Thanks for all your comfort and support. She does not blame me at all. She is pretty sure it was the boer doe, I don't know if it was horned, but it sounds like she was fine yesterday, and dead today. As I said I thought maybe pasturella but she was treated and clean when I sold her. The vet said it couldn't be, her (the vet) thought it was due to internal problems. I think too it was from an injury. The only way to find out is to do a necropsy, if it wasn't so far away I would of done it today...but they are not knowing how to do a necropsy. I guess we will never know.
    I am seriously thinking of just giving her one of Gypsy's babies, and getting a doe kid back next year for payment...I am going to call her in the morning and talk to her about it. I just have to make it right with this little girl some how. They have bought goats from me before and they are all healthy and safe, she takes really good care of them..So that's my toughts. Thanks again for all your sweet thoughts, it really means alot to me..

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    So sorry to hear that. How very sad. :hug:

That sounds like a good idea Victoria. I would defiantely want to give them a replacement kid. I sold a wether once, clean bill of health, all shots, etc. and a couple weeks later he got sick and passed away. It was due to some kind of illness, but our vet said it couldn't have been our fault. So long story short, a couple days after he passed I offered another one of their choice as replacement. That was a wether though. I know a doe would be more of a money loss, but I think it's the right thing to do.

Good luck with whatever you choose, this is definately an upsetting situation and it wasn't your fault at all, it does sound like that boer is the culperate.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The way I do it is:

If the kid/goat dies within 1 mth of purchase I replace it free of charge (unless it is glaringly the owners fault, like if their dog attacked it or something) but I only do this once, if the next one dies I start to think they are doing something wrong.

If the kid/goat dies after a month but within a year of purchase I will give them a 20% discount on another purchase (same conditions as above)

If it is a bottle baby or a retired doe or older wether that I have given away for free(I sometimes do this) and it dies, I do not replace or offer refund under any circumstances, since the buyer was not at any financial loss anyway.

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    That sounds fair to me Keren. I took a loss on the doe anyways, so i am feeling more of just washing my hands of it and know I did the best I could. I do not feel at fault although I feel terrible & angry. So there we have it..