The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two almost 4 month old doelings who today I have noticed one mounting the other. I'm guessing someone is in heat but which one? I can't tell anything from their little pooches!! Lol! Is it heat or are they just playing around?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Is the one being ridden standing or running away? If standing, it's heat. If running away, it could be play or it could be the onset of heat. As to which one could be in heat - usually it's the mountee, but it could be both. Sometimes a goat in heat will ride another goat. If there is no swelling, wet-looking vulva, or pinkness to either one's vulva, I'm inclined to think just play.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually it's the mountee, but it could be both. Sometimes a goat in heat will ride another goat.
Interesting........I was thinking it was the mounter.....well I know one thing I'm gonna keep track and write it down on my calendar!

Sent from my iPad using GoatSpot

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Ha. I've wondered this before too, but I've found that when you bring the real buck around, the "mounter" is usually in heat. Sometimes both. It varies with individual does. They will be consistent about it though. If they mount when in heat, they will probably do it next time too. It's a sign to write in your notes.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha. I've wondered this before too, but I've found that when you bring the real buck around, the "mounter" is usually in heat. Sometimes both. It varies with individual does. They will be consistent about it though. If they mount when in heat, they will probably do it next time too. It's a sign to write in your notes.
For sure!

·
2,203 Posts
It's easy to tell which is in heat if she's at peak (standing). While coming into heat and while going out of heat she'll be the one doing the jumping.

However, she'll still smell "pretty" for a while and others may try to "help" her out until the hormones suggest they stop. Lol

So I guess if you're looking for a straight answer, both can be in heat. Look closer. If it's repetitive jumping and one is standing, it's the bottom. If it's repetitive jumping and the other is running like crazy and turning around to defend herself, tail tucked the jumper is likely in heat. You can also watch the rump area as well. It may be wet from slobber, roughed up, hair in a million directions. If you gently spread the vulva and peak inside, she'll be red and moist appearing. If not in heat, it'll be light pink and quite pink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts