The New Babies! PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by empera, Mar 30, 2009.

1. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Here I am with absolutely no experience with goats, let alone goat kids, and I decided that I'm going to buy 3 kids! I already own parrots, dogs, cats, rabbits, ducklings, chickens, and fish. (If anyone thinks I shouldn't have goats, please understand that everyone started somewhere, and that I did as much research as humanly possible)

I got the kids from Barbara off of Puget Sound Goat Rescue & Barbara and the volunteers there are magnificant (and patient) answering every question I had. I met all her kids (over 25) on this past wednesday and it warmed my little heart. These gorgeous babies would have been born and died in a slaughter house with no chance of survival. <3

My boyfriend (the one who says that all animals aren't cute but secretly adores them) fell in love with a Boer cross doe. He named her Ocho Cinco (football player haha) She's beautiful. Everyone wanted her after we put the deposit down, and I'm so surprised she wasn't taken earlier. She has an amazing personality and isn't as pesky compared to the others she was housed with (only when theres a bottle near)
    Sorry the picture is soooo blurry. She's a bottle baby and follows you around like a puppy. I don't mind that but it's SO difficult to feed the others with her there. :hair: We still love her.
    [​IMG]
    I think Barbara said she was crossed with Oberhasli, but I don't see any of the breed in her besides the ears.

I personally fell in love with a 2 week old brown Nubian (not sure if purebred) buckling (soon to be wether) and black sister doe. :love: We named him Bodacious (famous bull) and for short - Bo.

We still don't know what to name the girl, she has pink eye and is small compared to Bo. I'm giving her medicine. They were still with their mom and not taking the bottle well from Barbara. That changed last night when I fed them for MY first time ever feeding a bottle baby. They took the bottle alot better than I thought, after some patience. Wonderful experience, but I'll probably get tired of it after having to do it all the time. Still, kids are wonderful to be around.
    [​IMG]
    He is the brown one looking at the camera. CUTIE! While his sister hides :roll:
    [​IMG]

This next picture is super blurry, sorry. My camera was acting horrible. More pictures later once I warm up.
    [​IMG]

& Here is Ocho's cute little behind.
    [​IMG]

I'm greeted everytime they set there gorgeous eyes on me with some maaa's! I tried to sneak past them as a game this morning but Ocho has a 6th sense. She climbed out of her dog house and caught me! :) I just laughed my way to the car.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    What cuties!!! Congrats!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    they are adorable........ thanks for sharing them with us........ :wink: :love: :love:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    smart little creatures arent they! Very cute congrats on your first goats!! :thumb:

5. tremayne

tremayne New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    How wonderful for them and for you. They're just gorgeous. :love:

You're in a good place here. This is a very nice group of people with so much experience and knowledge. I'm still new to goats and whenever I've asked for help or advice, the folks here have been more than generous with their wisdom.

So, congrats on your new babies. You did an excellent thing by rescuing them from certain death. Keep reading, keep asking and have fun with the little ones.

Good to meet you. :stars: Have fun with the kids.

Anna

6. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Thanks everyone!

Question: When I went out for the two younger ones feeding, (I don't bring them inside) I have some trouble getting them to accept the bottle. Last night the boy was stubburn and wouldn't eat. The girl did wonderfully. After a long night, they all did perfect. Now, at the second of the third feeding today, they swapped spots. The girl absolutely refused to drink. Each time I make sure they have at least a little bit of milk, though.

Should I just keep trying until they eat at least a little milk? I believe they are beginning to realize that I am their new source of milk and the bottle also, but I just don't know. :?

Any suggestions?
    I just want them to get enough nutrients, and to not be hungry! When should I start really worrying?

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Cute kids!!!!! :stars:
    All I can say with bottle babies is PATIENCE :thumbup: They will figure it out soon enough and that bottle will be sucked up in no time at all.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Awwwwww :love: they are so so so cute!

Man, I wish it was baby season here. I think I need to get some of those sheep after all, cos they are about to lamb.

Its actually a good thing if those babies get a little hungry ... will make them accept the bottle better if they are hungry :wink:

9. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Very Cute!!! Congratulations.

We bottle feed all our babies here and from time to time one or another will not want to eat. I wouldn't worry unless the same one won't eat for 2 or 3 feedings in a row. I think sometimes they simply aren't that hungry, kinda like us.

10. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    You've been bitten by the bug! There's no cure.....except more goats but that's only a short term cure. Welcome!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Congrats on getting such cute kids as your first goaties!!!

I've no experience with bottlefeeding but I do think that if they are hungry they will take the bottle.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how old are they? are they eating hay and drinking water?

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    cute!

I think you'll be a great goat-mom..lol

so how old are they?

14. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    The Boer cross is about 4 1/2 weeks old. They have fresh water which I left out for them and showed them where it was. They don't seem too interested in the hay.

The Nubian siblings are both born on 3/12 - so 2 1/2 weeks.
    :)

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I caught the fever on ducks, chickens, and now goats! I'm only allowed 3 :roll: that will change within time.