The New Goats and A Question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rodney757, May 10, 2010.

1. rodney757

rodney757 New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I recently got 3 goats about 1 1/2 weeks ago. 2 are boer x myotonic and the other is purebred myotonic. The black one is a little wild and the mostly white one is the friendlist. They are both does and the other is a wether.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the wether's ear he looks to be loosing some hair and sunburnt??? Also right above his is a spot that I noticed was oozing a little today. He has also had clumpy poop for a few days. Any idea what might be wrong? Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Mites? We have had that on the ears or rubbing the hay rack on the nose.

3. rodney757

rodney757 New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    If it was mites would you be able to see them?

I don't have a hay rack but it could be from rubbing on their houses or water bucket.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm mites are a possibility - cant see mites they are to tiny.

That or just a really bad reaction to the sun.

5. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You could take a skin scraping to the vet and have it looked at. If that was because of mites the vet would be able to tell.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm no help, I'm new to goats too,but I wanted to say they are really cute! And the black one def has that wildside look to her! Very cute though!

7. rodney757

rodney757 New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks for the replies. Now I've got a new problem that I noticed today. 1 of the does has an open sore. It's on her right hip. Could it be CL. I called the vet and am waiting for a call back. Thanks

[​IMG]

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With a sore like that, it could be any number of things...it does look like a burst abcess. CL is not common in the hip area she could have had a thorn stuck or even got injured on fencing....if you can, use clippers to shave around the area and keep it clean, a dilute of iodine as a flush with a smear of an antibiotic salve will help it heal from the inside out.

As far as the ear on your wether, that to me looks like it could be from mites, wash the area and let it dry, a smear of vaseline or Vicks on the entire area will smother the bugs and help the skin heal...this is short term treatment only until you can get the correct med for the job. Ivermectin given as an injection will kill any external as well as internal parasites.

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    The pics I've seen of CL so far don't look anything like that, and just from seeing the pic it looks pretty clean around the area, surely if there were a yellow cheesy like puss coming out of it you'd have more of a mess on her hair? And also from what people have told me, the abscesses usually get around the size of a golf ball, the hair on the abscess falls off right before it bursts. Did you notice anything there before you found it open? Any large lumps on the skin?

10. rodney757

rodney757 New Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I didn't notice anything there before. Also it didn't look like the pics I've seen of CL either, but I've only had goats for a week. Thanks for the help. I'll make sure to keep it clean.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could she have gotten caught on something?