The new year not so great so far

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by mistyblue, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    So far this new year is going horrible. First my laptop gets a bad virus and it cannot be fixed, so no computer at home right now. This weekend the neighbors behind us, stud horse gets into my friends pasture over night, beats up one mare, one 30yr old gelding goes missing. We searched from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. before we got the call that he was found at 2:00 a.m. wondering a mile down the road and had been taken to a holding facility. One mare is possible bred, luckly the stud is registered but still sucks as they did not want a foal.

Now the worst news is that we have not had any work and they have been laying people off left and right at work. We normally work 4 tens and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off, well per the meeting this morning, they layed the rest of our welding crew off this morning and they are cutting our hours to 4 eights till hopfully we get some work. But they are predicting that we will not have any work for over a month and if that is true then they will be laying us in drafting off as well.

This year has just got to get better. :sigh:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Wow. I sure hope the work hold up for you and things start to get better right away.

Jan

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry for all the bad news.

I will sure add you to or prayer list. Hang in there. :grouphug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Prayers sent your way.... :pray: :hug:

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so sorry :( When it rains it pours :( I am so sorry about your computer, darned those nasty viruses.
    At least the horses are okay, even if the one did get pregnant. Your neighbor should have any foal registered and pay that cost so if your friend wants to sell it, then it will be worth more $$. That would be the responsible thing for the stud owner to do. And I am so glad to hear the gelding is okay, WHEW, I know I would have had a meltdown....

I understand about the work situation, we went through this last year :( I hope and pray things go well for you.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Totally understand and feel for you :hug:
    DH has been out of work now for almost 2 years, thank goodness I still have a full time job.

Things will get better...theres always prayers and hope to help with those blah days :hug:

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts. With most of this happening within a couple of days it just kinda overwelming, as for the job, I love my job as mindless as it is but if it came down to it and I was laid off I could always go back to doing my last job as a police officer. I loved doing it but the stress was horrible and I absolutly hated the paperwork (shudder).

The owner of the stud has already agreed to pay for registration if the mare is bred, the only thing he did not offer was to help pay for any vet bills as both the gelding and mare are hurt.

Liz, I am sorry to hear about your husband, I know alot of good people that have lost their jobs and are having trouble finding new ones even at a lower pay rate. I hope that he will be able to find something here in the near future.

8. nublynn

nublynn New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Sending Good Vibes your way!

:hug:

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Uhhgg...sounds tiring! I sure do hope things turn around soon for ya.

And tell your friend that the stud owner legally has to pay for the mare's care and any injuries caused. I hope they secured their fencing too. There may be laws in your state regarding proper stallion fencing...it can be illegal to house a stallion without proper fencing. It's the neighbor's fault for their stallion and they need to "clean up the mess" and pay for any vet bills and extra care for the mare in foal.

Also, if they really don't want a foal...you can find horse lute and get her out of foal. ;) Or have a vet give her a shot to get rid of it.

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I would lute the mare personally, too. But good luck to them

Sorry you're having such a hard time mistyblue. Lots of jingles and thoughts coming your way.