The old house is getting a new roof!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Di, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, my 100+ year old house is getting a new roof. :wahoo: Everytime the wind blows I go out and pick up the shingles that have blown off the roof. So, we've been on the "list" for about a month now, and I get a call at 6:45 a.m. saying they are on their way! So, I had to take a pic of the two huge holes in the roof :GAAH: (we are having two dormers with windows installed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I'm having heart palpatations, I'm too old for this! Luckily, no rain forecasted till Sunday. :pray:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow....I hope they were able to finish before you did get that rain!! I like old houses, especially ones like yours BIG! Mines a small ranch that started out as 2 rooms in "38 and expanded to what it is now...kitchen, bath and 3 bedrooms...added in the 50's.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    How did I miss this! Cool

How did it come out?

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Well, we did get rained on, they cut the "vent" along the top (it didn't have one) and didn't have the dormers "sealed" up so it came in a little. Hubby was freaking out, but it didn't rain in too much. Now the roofs on and it looks pretty good. They used the same metal on the sides of the dormers, as on the roof, I don't like that, I thought they'd use regular siding. Oh Pooh! They didn't get the right size windows, so they aren't in yet. So they still have some finishing up to do. My son said not to worry, if I want he'll come and redo the siding on the dormers.

[​IMG]

And here is the new "canopy" that hubby wanted over what will be the new steps out to the patio which will have a "pergola" that will cover the walkway to the garage. :GAAH:
    Isn't there an old saying about one project begets another project?

[​IMG]

Looks pretty "rough" right now, but it should look pretty good when we are finished.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looking good. I agree with the look of the doomers -- it isnt bad but not estetically pleasing.

I know how one project begets another -- the work is never done

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Di, it looks good...the sides of the dormers does blend in too much, maybe if they would have gone with a color to match the brick it would look better...and the overhang is going to look great when finished also.

7. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :slapfloor: Don't I know it! To bad I've grown to love this house. Maybe it's because I'm doing the remodel mostly myself, and as we can afford it! Of course I didn't do the roof and the windows, but I did all the tile (earth gauged slate on the main floor, ceramic in hubby's bathroom, marble in mine), and most of the wood floors. I re-plastered the walls and painted of course. Now to get to the kitchen! I have new appliances, but, I was going to keep the old cabinets and just replace the countertops, I've since decided to replace it all. So, time to roll up my sleeves, and get back to work! Oh yeh, that mud-room/laundry room extension needs new siding...and then the barn is a nightmare... :GAAH:

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks Liz, and again :GAAH:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, at least you've gotten a good start on your remodel...My bathroom has needed it as well as my kitchen...I have NO counters, cabinets and my new tub has been in my basement for 6 years!! Hubby is a very big procrastinator and any extra $ we get...well I tend to get more going with the goats and barn, fencing...u know how it is! It's great that you can do the stuff you already have accomplished...I tend to wait for hubby to move :shrug:

10. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    LOL Liz, I have become quite the "handy girl"! Partly because I can't wait on Hubby, he just says call a contractor, which would be ok, except the contractors around here never FINISH anything! But, they all charge as if they are perfect! Even the plumbing in my bathroom (we combined 2 bedrooms and made a beautiful Master BR/BA combination), after the contractor left (they did the plumbing and installed the tub and sink), I noticed they had run the hot/cold water lines to the tub and hooked them up to the WRONG SIDE! And these were the contractors we liked the best! OH WELL!

So, my suggestion is watch the DIY television, go to the website for further info, and jump right in! You can do it!

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What a lot of work but how lovely the result. When you find a good contractor, they are worth their weight in gold.