The Perfect Goat Breed

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by redsticker, Apr 29, 2010.

1. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    It's another year without goats for me (thanks, economic crisis) but it has given me time to do a lot of reading, not just about goats, but I've been learning about many different breeds of all different kinds of animals. I'm finding it interesting that certain breeds of sheep, cattle and pigs are bred not only for their meat/milk production but also for hardiness and disposition.

So I was wondering... is there a goat breed that is naturally hardier, perhaps parasite resistant like St. Croix Sheep? (I'm into the dairy breeds so maybe there's a meat breed I don't know about?)

I was also reading about people conserving/shaping heritage breeds and creating new ones by mixing certain breeds and by breeding in or out certain qualities. And that got me thinking, do you think it would be possible to breed resistance to things like cocci or hoof rot or UC? Or a true dual/triple purpose goat where the girls had huge udders and the whethers were meaty and delicious, and maybe even had fiber? I'm no expert on genetics or whatever, so I wouldn't know anything about how to do it (maybe these already exist?), but I have so much spare time to think about this stuff, lol.

I know people might already breed mixes of dairy and/or meat goats, but if you were creating your own breed, what qualities and characteristics from other breeds would you want?

Haha, sorry, I'm bored. ;) :ponder:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Well, fainters are known for being pretty worm resistant and I breed for good strong hooves... I have a few does that have never needed to have their hooves trimmed (they are 4 and 5 years old now) we live on dirt so they must just not grow? LOL Although, the one doe I trimmed before a show... just to neaten hers up a bit (there was barely a little fold at 4 years old) well... since I did that she needs to be trimmed every 6 months or so???? weird. Most of my does only need worming once a year... but I do also have a few that have only been wormed 2X and they are also 4 and 5 years old. I think breeding for resistance and strength of legs and hooves is a great idea.... so let us know how your research on that goes! :)

3. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lamanchas!!!!!!i love my munchies,even for dairy they are great multi purpose

4. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I would also have to say lamanchas and the saanens are great too!

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I third Lamancha for hardiness and adaptability.

They are easy to train in general...and they handle stress very well compared to some other breeds that I've worked with. Don't seem to have as many health problems either, I've noticed.

Wethers are a good size for meat with just the right amount of flesh...not as bony as some of the other dairy breeds.

There are people that breed for parasite and disease resistance (mostly with meat goats but some with dairy too) and it is definitely possible to "create" goats that are more resistant.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the Kiko goat is known for being parasite resistant and very hardy. As to milk production that I don't know. But they were developed from a dairy breed.

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I second the Kikos for hardiness. We had them a few years back, sold them due to wanting to focus more on the Nubians. They were great, though. We brought them from MO to OH and they never even got as much as a snotty nose. We never had a problem with their health. The doe we had was an excellent mother. Now their feet...they need some improving structually, at least the ones we had did. Most Kiko breeders don't always breed for the best conformation...they breed for excellent dams and parasite resistance.

I wouldn't say the doe we had was a great milker. She always had enough for her kids, but we never tried milking her ourselves.

If you want to cross breed and have parasite resistant goats...I would recommend using some Kiko. I liked my Nubian/Kiko crosses, but we sold out before we had a chance to see them freshen.

8. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    I am all about the LaManchas.

The does generally produce a LOT of milk, even as a FF. And my lamancha Penny's little whether is 1/2 Boer. I'll grab some more pictures of him... He's growing like a WEED and his girth is nothing short of astounding.

I don't know how the female 1/2 Boer 1/2 lamanchas would be, but... I have tasted Boer milk and it was DELICIOUS. Boers have very rich, very sweet milk. I think if someone could produce 1/2 Boer 1/2 lamanchas that retained the high milk production as well as the sweeter, richer flavor of the Boer... I might just fall in love. That would be MY perfect goat. :)

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    For goats I'd say kiko. My uncle has been doing alot of looking. He has boars now and is going to do some crossing next year.

As for sheep, I have a hair and a wool sheep. They have been great on Garlic Barrier and I'm now using it on the goats. It has an added benfit of keeping away flies and such.

If you are breeding for meat, they say apple cider vinegar helps the taste. It also helps sheep with wool. Not as much lanolin makes it easier to shear.

For cool rare breeds, check out Jacob sheep! The color is wonderful and those horns are wicked looking! :drool:

Gina

10. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    My LaManchas tend to hardly ever have illness issues(knock-on-wood) The Saanens are a beautiful breed and milk well to for the most part-but if anything ever gets a runny nose or sick it seems to be them-dont know why but it does. My frist fresheners are milking pretty good-but I never really expect much milk 'till their 2nd freshening. My LaManchas are pretty tame. I have one that my mom can't catch-but she comes right up to me ;-).

11. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    I just find all this so fascinating... I didn't know lamanchas were considered hardier than other dairy breeds. And I read this morning about kiko and purebred Spanish goats.

To me, a perfect breed seems like a combination of lamancha, spanish or kiko and for me, in a smaller package, so with a bit of Nigerian in there.

I've heard that Nigis have milk that is sweeter than other goats, so is the milk of Nigi and other dairy breed mixes (mini nubians, mini manchas, etc.) a combination in taste?

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I read somewhere that the LaMancha was created from a wild Spanish goat and a dairy breed. It makes sense. Mine seem very hardy.

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I love LaManchas but have limited space so the Nigerian breed is for me! I would love to have Mini Manchas though. They seem to combine the "best" and in a smaller package. :)

14. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    When you introduce the nigi blood, does that make that mini-manchas more susceptible to parasites? (Anyone with mini-manchas willing to share your experiences?) ;)

I know that most dairy goat breeds are seasonal breeders, but are lamanchas and mini-manchas seasonal breeders? What about meat goats?

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our Nigerians are very hardy and do not require DE-worming more than once or twice a year, if that. Don't know so much about others. I think the Mini-Manchas may be seasonal breeders, not sure though. Boer goats can breed pretty much year round.

16. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Can't remember but are Boer goats pretty much the only ones that can be bred year around?

17. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i dislike mini manchas... standard lamanchas arent huge to begin with, so why bother downsizing them.

they were derived from a spanish type goat

I used to have a laboer ( 50/50 boer lamancha) and she grew AMAZINGLY FAST and well.. and her kids were the best growing.. because you have a lamancha with high butterfat and loads of milk, and you just make that milk richer with boers... sooo

18. redsticker

redsticker Member

May 7, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    When you breed a lamancha to a boer, you always have to make the smaller one the buck, right? So it would have to be a boer doe bred to a lamancha buck?

How tall are lamanchas? I tried to find some info to no avail. Also, how many kids do they usually have or can they have? (And mini manchas?)

I'm also having trouble finding info on kiko x dairy mixes, so I'm quessing there aren't too many out there. But I'd love to see some pictures of what mixes look like or information on the benefits of adding the kiko blood to "dairy" goats. I've only seen pics of some 3/4 saanen x 1/4 kiko crosses, but they weren't standing and had no info, just pics. After reading how hardy kiko's are even compared to the spanish goats, it would seem worthwhile to add a little kiko if one wanted to create a hardier dairy goat mix, but I'm sure there are also downsides.

19. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Generally, you can breed most dairy does to Boer bucks. People do it all the time. Just make sure your does are nice and wide from hips to pins...and maybe use a buck that doesn't throw huge kids.

Not all Lamanchas are small. I can think of a couple herds off the top of my head that have really big LMs.

Here...let me find some pics of the Nubian/Kiko does we had...

20. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Okay here are some pics of the twins, Gem and Jade, when they were around 7 months old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]