The power of Lysol....

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Perfect7, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We bought a new 3-month-old boer buckling about a week ago, but I couldn't put him into our buck pen because the yearling buck went nuts wagging his tongue, blubbering, and repeatedly mounting him while extending. :hair: I also can't leave him in the pasture with the girls because they are due to kid within the next month and we also bought his 3-month-old unbred sister.
    I figured maybe it was because at his previous ranch he was in with a couple does in heat. So...I took some lysol air freshner and lightly misted his hind end and top of his back (not on bare skin). Then I put him in the buck pen. The yearling smelled him, turned his nose up, and ran away. :laugh:
    :wahoo:
    Just thought I would share this in case anybody else had a similar issue. The two have been happily eating together for a hour with no issues.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow lysol ... :shocked: that is really great info...I will have to try that sometime...thanks for sharing.... :thumb: :hi5:

3. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I think I needed to know that too. What a great idea. Whatever let you think of trying that?

Jan

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!! How funny...silly boy! You gotta go with what works :)

5. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    LOL - I can just picture it! Good to know for the future. Thanks for sharing!

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    That's the same reaction I have to Lysol....?

7. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    LOL cool. Some people have also used mentholatum on the noses of bulls when transporting bulls and cows together, to keep from any hanky-panky going on. So I imagine this was along the same lines LOL.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Me too, awful stuff! Whod a thunk it Perfect7!?

9. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :laugh: My thinking pattern must be a bit unusual. I'm sad to report, though, that it only lasted for about four hours and then....well, he's going to be castrated tomorrow (the yearling). I can't see myself out spraying the little guy every four hours until he gets big enough to pay the yearling back. Mentholatum, I'll keep that one in mind!
    Actually, the lysol air spray had a pleasant flower smell to it. Very pretty. :p
    Maybe if I would have used "scent of a pack of coyotes" it would have been effective for longer?

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wish it would of lasted longer...oh well....it is a temporary fix .. or longer.. if we want to do... a spray schedule.... :p :hi5:

11. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :ROFL:

12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Sorry Pam I realize you were being serious but it just cracked me up.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I was trying to be funny...LOL.... that's why... I stuck out my tongue... :p

14. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    :laugh: Of course, I could just make another buck pen.....
    I didn't get to the castrating yet because the yearling was too big for my bander, so he gets a trip to the vet Monday. Once he's fixed, will he still extend and mount the buckling?

15. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I know that my wether who is a year old still mounts the other smaller wether that is in the pen with him and the buck. I haven't seen him extend, although the buck extends when he mounts ANYTHING including the dog. I think its a hierarchy thing and he shouldn't actually hurt the buckling. My buck seems to do that when he really wants one of the girls but is unable to get to them due to the fencing. On a TMI note, while my buck extends he never does actually penetrate, but things do get messy ::YUCK:: So I don't think the extension should be an issue.

16. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Thank you, Jay. My vet bought the buck when I took him to get castrated so now I don't have that issue. :p I was worried about him extending, penetrating, and hurting the buckling so glad to know they don't. Now I'm shopping for a wether because the buckling is not happy alone. :roll:

17. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Always happy when these things work out! Congrats on the sale. Wish you were closer to me... I have a wether that is good for not much except a buddy. He is destined for the freezer soon as I can clear out some space.