The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I got a call from a woman, pretty frantic. Her goat free ranges and came home not being able to bear weight on her front leg.

So I asked about how big she is, the person said oh.. maybe 60 pounds. A small goat.

My friend and I hopped in her car with a dog crate and drove 40 minutes to pick her up. Well... Miss Tilly was not a small goat, more like a fat medium sized goat. haha. No can fit in the crate.

We loaded her up in the back of the car. She's feisty! Reminds me so much of my feral goat Nacho (Tilly was a feral caught baby).

I get Tilly home and put her in a dog run. Send my friend home with some poop to run a fecal. Temp is 103.1 so thats reasonable after a 40 minute car ride I think. Eyes are bright and clear. Coat is shiny. Goat is fat (thats super unusual here).

I got a weight on her 87 pounds! Since she was wiggly I dosed her banamine at 75 pounds to be on the safe side. Waiting to see what the fecal shows and will examine her leg (it is swollen) and see whats what.

VERY smart goat. She tried to unlock the dog run, so I had to put a pin on the latch. She is 3 years old. I have high hopes that if its a very simple fracture, or something else causing the swelling, she's going to be just fine. I will try to get a pic here in a few minutes when she's a bit relaxed.

I'm calling this a "rescue" because really... the goat is SO SO SO well loved. The woman just had not the money nor the knowledge to handle this situation, so she reached out, and I'm so glad she did. She was crying when we left. She thinks I'm going to keep her and/or rehome her. My plan is that once she's healed to see if the lady wants her back. I just didn't want to make any promises until/if I get her healed up. Clearly a very much loved goat. Accidents happen and sometimes we can't afford them or know exactly what to do.

So thats Tillys story thus far!

·
Super Moderator
58,182 Posts
Hopefully the leg problem is simple. Glad you could help. Hopefully she isn't the only goat the woman owns but glad she is loved.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So her parasite load was pretty much zero (how is that even possible?!) but she did have lung worms in her poop so that means she's coughing them up and swallowing them. So I gave her treatment for that.

She let me take a good look at her leg. There was a scab and some sebum coming out of the swollen area. Its not really hot, but I think she has an owie there. Charging my clippers to shave her leg. If he leg is broken its a very minor break, as I couldn't feel anything and I really got in there.

She is an only goat, on a non fenced property. So thats a concern for sure.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
poor girl. Good for you for helping her. Maybe her owner can make a safe yard for her once she is healed?

Reactions: Trollmor

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I love that you are helping her! I hope she fully recovers.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just shaved her leg down and I think it was a dog bite. There are 2-4 "wounds" with scabs on them. I hot packed the area last night and the swelling was almost totally gone today, with some weight bearing. So I shaved the area and will use a clay to draw out some of the yuck, while keeping an eye on her temp.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks to Dayna for taking Tilly in, helping both her and her owner, however I don't think Tilly should be returned with 'conditions' if the lady who loves her goat so much has no money to spare. Tilly and the lady have been living "their way" for some time apparently, so why not let the two of them continue, especially since she seems to have had Tilly since she was a little thing?
Just my thoughts !

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
Not sure i missed it but a tetanus shot would be wise if you can get one there. Especially with being a dog bite. For prevention, most any ess oil used to flush the wound and infection can help prevent tetanus, but my go to would be diluted Helichrysum, Copaiba or Frankincense. would be giving garlic cloves as well as vit c. both of which can help with immune system. Vit C helps detox.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to Dayna for taking Tilly in, helping both her and her owner, however I don't think Tilly should be returned with 'conditions' if the lady who loves her goat so much has no money to spare. Tilly and the lady have been living "their way" for some time apparently, so why not let the two of them continue, especially since she seems to have had Tilly since she was a little thing?
Just my thoughts !
Because the dog is still likely around? Why would I put all my time, effort, and money into fixing up this goat to just have it happen again?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I am sure the woman who loves her goat will be most willing to try her best to protect her. After having a word with her, Dayna will know. :)

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Miss Tilly is doing really well today! Almost not limping anymore, her appetite is back, and she's hanging full time with my front yard house herd (blind Myra, Miyah my milk goat, and Pearl the rescued saanen kid).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts