The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a buckling a few weeks ago that was not weaned. Everything seemed good. Today I go out and he has the runns. I may have caused it but don't want to say. Don't want the responses to be trigger by what I write. What would ya'll have to say can cause this and how much of a problem is this? What should I be doing to help him?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Very likely an overload of coccidia. Get a fecal done on him and go from there. Could also be a change in diet. Any changes in the last day or so? Make sure he has lots of hay and stays hydrated. Some probiotics will help too.

Coccidia will cause very foul smelling poop. A diet change does not cause such a foul smell. Hard to describe it but the best way to diagnose is fecal testing.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I agree, especially if you are bottle feeding him. If you had to use some other type of milk in a pinch, it will cause the runs...him trying a new food on his own will do it too. Coccidia is a big consideration as well, it is most likely to affect young kids from about 3 weeks old onward.
The important thing to do now would be to dose him with pepto bismol, depending on his size and age 6cc would be the dose, some probiotic paste/gel or even the powder would be beneficial and make sure he stays hydrated. If he continues to scour, please have a fecal run to be sure of wether or not he has a cocci overload.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
by not telling us how you are feeding him and the rutine its hard to give you good ideas on what the issue might be.

Take his temp

Check for coccidia and worms via fecal

is he bottle fed? are you feeing him what he was getting at his previous owners? Have you changed his feeding schedule?

as Liz said Pepto would be a good idea no matter what the cause. YOu want him to stay hydrated.

did you recently change any of his food? did he get out into a field with grass? Did he gorge on leaves or acorns?

As you can see a merid of things can cause the runs -- we need more info.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
How old is he? Is he still on the bottle? What are you feeding him? How much?

Change in the diet will do it along with the change in the milk. I know you said it looks like the BOSS. But I would also look at some other things

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
countryboy said:
Thank you all. Looks like to much black sunflower seed.
yes to much of anything in their diet can cause an issue with diarrhea.

Is he clearing up? is that why you think to much BOSS was an issue? or did you just see him in the bag and assume it could be that?

As long as he is doing better thats all that matters :thumb:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not want to go to the feed store that day so I made up the extra with boss. I got off my tail and went get some feed and gave him some pepto and it looks good now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts