The Runs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Coraxfeather, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    The two new babies I have been bottle feeding have had the runs. We are not going to try pepto cause my boss has lost one to pepto. They are acting fine. Playing jumping around and doing little baby goatie things. Just there little bottoms have the runs. The poo dose not smell very bad just like goatie poo. Everything else is working. Do anyone know anything I can do?? I think it is more me cause I am getting a little tired of changen my clothing because I hold them to bottle feed them. Even if I wrap there little butts up I still get it from there hooves. Anything we can do to stop this or am I going to have to let nature take it corse?? Cause that is what a few of my friends said. As long as they are not crashing from it they are fine. And yes they are haven the eletralights (sp) replaced with each bottle.
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I doubt peto is what killed the goat, it probably was very sick and died from cocci, dehydrated or even worms.

i would get their poo tested for cocci and worms.

Kaopectat is what my vet said to use. So you can add some of that to their bottle.

Also add some yogurt to their bottle too

3. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    How old are they? What breed of goat? and how much milk are you giving them? Is the poop, orangish, brownish or blackish??
    I would stop holding them too - make them learn to stand for their bottles. We bottlefeed almost all of our babies for our petting zoo, and we don't wait long until we make them stand for their bottles - otherwise you'll have even more obnoxious bottle babies later on.
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree w/ Stacey. It is most likely cocci causing the problems but what kind of milk are you giving? A lot of people have had problems w/ runny poop from using replacer. I haven't used it in over two years. I had one doe kid who had problems with runny poop (it wasn't cocci) - switched to whole goat's milk and it cleared right up.
  5. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    I agree, but I only use replacer - but sometimes I have to dilute it more than the bag says. Also, if she's using a generic replacer for multiple species, it could do it. If the babies are real young, it wont' be coccidia. So we need more information.
  6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I would definately get their poo tested, as it is a very simple and inexpensive test to make sure that they are healthy and not missing something.

Kids can start mouthing things within days of being born and pick up cocci. *mine are 6 days and 9 days and they have been picking up things and mouthing them already!

I do agree with Stacey, the pepto probobly is not what killed the other one unless the entire bottle was given to a very tiny kid.

Make sure they are staying hydrated and when the fecal comes back (usually same day) then you will know how to procede to stop the runs.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Stacey and Allison....pepto is not what killed the kid..... :hug:
    I would get a sample.. to have it tested.... to make sure ...what it is your dealing with.....having scours is not good... for a long period of time if it is cocci it can do major damage if left untreated...and you risk loosing the kid.... :hug:
  8. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    I will let my boss know. Right now I had to leave alst night due to the fact I got really sick myself with a really bad cold. From no sleep and work and the babies and the stress. When I left there poo was getting thicker and looking more like dog poo. The poo is orangish in color. No bad smell to it. One of the girls we actuly made to go to the bath room cause she was constpatied (sp).

I have started to make them stand on teh floor when I feed them but with the runney butts at the time the carpetting would not handle the poo. So had to hodl them with a blankie aroudn there butts.
  9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well not much more that I can add to what already was said and asked. Knowing what they are getting is very important. Is it powder formula or mom's milk (I am sure it is formula). Some formula is known to cause the runs. I only ever used save a kid formula. Use on that is ONLY for goat and sheep. Not cows and everything else. Also how much are the getting at a time and how many times a day, and how old are they? (did I miss that?). Pepto is good and you can use MOM.

I also would do the Cocci fecal test without a second thought.