The Saanen goats at Fairview Dairy Goat Farm in Paarl

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by RhinoWhite, Dec 28, 2014.

1. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    Just to give you an overview on milking, keeping, feeding, rams, does and Saanen kids at Fairview, which is in Paarl, Western Cape South Africa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got more pics of course. And videos. Of the goats, but also some presentations from the dairy goat conference there. Oh yes, from the cheese factory, too.

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wow, neat photos!

I have to ask. Some of the does have huge udders, but are practically dragging on the ground from poor udder attachments and udder conformation overall. When they breed, do they try to improve the attachments and overall udder conformation or are they only concerned with production and udder capacity?

3. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    ^ That's what I'd like to know, too. It almost looks like the kids don't know where to find the teats--they are looking up, whereas the teats are nearly on the floor. Even a small kid would have to kneel down with its chin on the ground, to drink!

4. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Holy milk buckets!!!! Those look downright painful! Very cool pictures, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

5. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    Very interesting, I always look forward to the pictures you post. :thumb:

6. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    The ones with the monster udders were the highly pregnant ones, they weren't milked. The ones milked frequently had not so big udders, but I've seen some udders that were too loose for my taste. Not sure if they're weeding them out. But I recall something that if a doe gives 8ltr's a day, he doesn't worry how beautiful she is:cool:.

7. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Wow, so are the ones with the huge udders the ones that girl the 8ltr's a day? Or do they milk more? Because most of mine milk that much and more, and their udders are no where near that size! :eek:
    Looks like 5-6 gallon a day milkers, some of them! :p

8. Goat_in_Himmel

Goat_in_Himmel Active Member

Jun 23, 2013
    British Columbia
    It just looks like the poor does would risk stepping on their own udders just by walking, and dragging their teats in the dirt and dung, and snagging anything sharp. :-(

9. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    8ltrs is about 2 gallons. Most milk goats do milk 3 ltrs average on lactation unless they get special fodder. The Toggenburgs I showed last time had a take off of 2 ltrs average, all off them were gave milk to twins, since they didn't wean them. So my guesstimate is that they could get 4ltrs from them, if they'd been weaned and this is without any special fodder. At fairview it seems they get 5ltrs per day, but they wean kids asap.

He had them producing more then that with special feeding, but that turned out too expensive per liter milk. Not sure about the exact details of what they did, but Fairview is in mainly winelands (see the outside photos) and I think procuring extra food there may be expensive. I understood him not culling ugly udder goats, when they still produce high milk.

10. janeen128

janeen128 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Edgewood, WA
    Wow!! Thanks for the pics!

11. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  12. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    Very interesting pics and I like to learn about practices elsewhere. Thank you for sharing.

13. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Really? That's all, 5ltr/qt? I thought they'd be milking way way more. All but one of my milkers produce from 2 gallons a day to just shy of 3 gallons a day, each, and their udders are small compared to some of those does! :shocked:

14. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Very interesting. I like seeing how different cultures do things. :thumb:

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I love that little sundgau kid! Thanks for posting those pictures! Really interesting!

16. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
    2 to 3 gallons would be 9 to 13.5 ltrs That's quite a lot, what are you feeding them?

As for the udders you need to distinguish between the late pregnancy unmilked goats. And the goats actually milked on the pictures. The goats milked have normally sized dairy goat udders usually firmly attached. Although some definitely don't having bouncing others. I would discriminate against those in a breeding program, but the farm manager there said:"As long as they produce milk".

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  17. RhinoWhite

RhinoWhite Active Member

Nov 17, 2013
    South Africa
  18. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Thanks for the pictures :) It is very interesting :)
    I was looking at the scenery in the background of the first picture , so pretty !