The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday on this forum I read, there are only 2 types of goats....healthy goats and dead goats. Today I was talking to my dad, who used to raise goats also, and he said a guy once told him....a goat is born looking for a way to die.

These statements seem to be true to me unfortunately.

I have a little doe that was sick and just yesterday I thought she was looking better and was going to make it. Today I came home and she was dead! It's so disappointing to lose one!

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Im sorry..it is hard to loose one....

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
My uncle who raises goats (has over 100) told me the first half of the day goats look for a way to get out, and the second half of the day they look for a way to kill them selves

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well I guess it is true. I think back to BG....before goats and I thought they were these tough little animals.....sooooo verrrryyyy wrong!!! Its like once they get it in their mind to give up on life there's nothing you can do about it......But I still will give it my all. I'm very sorry you lost your goat :(. A little story about her seeming better beofr she passed. My grandma passed away a year ago she had cancer and stayed with me before she passed and we knew it was soon so had people come in to help with her. She was kinda weak and out of it for a week before and the day passed she had so much energy and told the nurse. She said they have.....I think she called it a golden day before they pass and is very common. I thought back and one of my does were like that she had prey. Tox. And I got her to eat and thought we were on our way to getting better. By that afternoon she passed. Sad but I will never get my hopes up like that again I knew she was slowly going down hill then I got so much hope just to crush it. OK that's my way off the topic story lol

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Man, I hate electronic devices!! Here I just wrote a long post which I don't usually, and I accidentally hit something and it dissapeared! :mad:I was saying that I don't especially think those statements are true, at least not of all goats.
I have heard someone that raised sheep say that they start looking for a place to die as soon as they're born, but I'm always amazed at how vigorous and hardy newborn baby goats are.
In general, I've heard that sheep tend not to be as bright or affectionate as goats, as well as less hardy, but I really can't form an opinion as I have never had any experience with sheep.

·
376 Posts
My horse vet really shocked me the last time she was here... I asked her if she treated goats and she said she was accredited for it but really didn't know much about goats. She said that another vet told her that the only way you can kill a goat is to cut it's head off! I nearly fell over! I'm like ummm... WRONG!

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree Sarah...I think we just get our heart broken when they die and it can seem some years thats all they do..then you have those years where no one dies..everyone stay well...I went almost three years with out any serious illness and no deaths...I was in awe...then had a real bad year that flowed over to this year..so I think Im due another good run :D As for sheep...Ive only lost a few young rams ..I think 3-4 in the 5+ years we raised them...

·
2,377 Posts
Goats are far more sensitive than we ever imagined they would be. I know it must be so hard to loose one. When goats get sick, they do seem to go rather quickly. So far we have not lost any to sickness or accidents at all and havent even had one baby die or anything like that...YET but i know it is going to be unavoidable at sometime. This is going on 3 'real' kidding seasons for us. One doe... my queen is getting older.. it is her 4th year kidding here. I worry about her... just checked eyelid color.. her eyelids are pale. I have to do something quick. I think I am afraid this could be our bad year. The goats just got out the other night for first time by busting the gate panel bars (quite hard to do).. they injested all sorts of bad plants that are poisonous. Day 3 and after quite a lot of stress poking things down their throats to absorb it all... They are all fine with no problems. They perhaps nibbled on rhodedendrum leaves and injested lots of peach leaves also. So.. it does seem true... goats are seemingly always looking for ways to do themselves in.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
It is sad and I'm sorry that you lost your little doe Monica :(
I can say that in the years that I've had goats, starting with my beloved Bootsie in 2000, I've had a few losses, even though my first loss was my beloved Dolly and her twins with a very bad dystocia in 2007, it seemed to be after that I was constantly on my toes... I lost my doe Tilly to poisoning in 2009,Penny developed Polio the end of 2009, Binkey had a stillbirth in 2010 then delivered her first triplets in 2011 and I lost one of them, my much loved pygmy buck Hank got sick with listeria in summer 2011 then I had to have him pts on new years eve 2011 from a suspected stroke or the brain damage from the listeria, he was almost 8 years old. I just lost my Bootsie a week ago at age 13.
Having goats is just as much an enjoyable life as you allow it to be but having those rough spots tends to make you wonder, having a heart is why it seems to bother us so much when someone is sick or when you lose one. Each of us has those rough spots when it seems like you are always wondering "what next?" but those times when all is well and there is peace within the goat barn certainly makes you appreciate them that much more.

·
2,377 Posts
We have had so many close calls of weird accidents that goats have gotten themselves into.. and I think... "How was that even possible!" How did he do that? What on earth... how did those horns end up stuck there? Or... what is that on that goats head now? Because I am home most of the time... I have been able to rescue and save them from themselves. I had been warned about collars.. yep.. almost lost one last year.. horns underneath the collar of one and just about choked the little wether to death before I got there.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Today I was talking to my dad, who used to raise goats also, and he said a guy once told him....a goat is born looking for a way to die.
If you believe that statement I would strongly suggest you stay away from sheep, now there is an animal that does not need a reason to die! I do not believe that goats are born looking for a way to die for one single moment, nor do I believe that goats are these fragile creatures that are going to keel over and croak if you so much as look cross-eyed at them. I think it's the people and how they handle their goats. I bought into all the hype about you have to have this, and you have to have that, and I spent a fortune on drugs and vitamins and everything else. Guess what? I wasted that money because all of that stuff expired without ever being used, and I never replaced it. Keep it simple, stick to basics, mimic their natural habitat as much as possible and you - and your goats - will be fine.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If you believe that statement I would strongly suggest you stay away from sheep, now there is an animal that does not need a reason to die! I do not believe that goats are born looking for a way to die for one single moment, nor do I believe that goats are these fragile creatures that are going to keel over and croak if you so much as look cross-eyed at them. I think it's the people and how they handle their goats. I bought into all the hype about you have to have this, and you have to have that, and I spent a fortune on drugs and vitamins and everything else. Guess what? I wasted that money because all of that stuff expired without ever being used, and I never replaced it. Keep it simple, stick to basics, mimic their natural habitat as much as possible and you - and your goats - will be fine.
I very much agree with you on that!!!!
When I first put thought into what type of animals to get for extra income I thought about sheep. I told my dad my idea and he said it a good idea for a tax write off. He worked one summer as a kid a bought sheep. One by one they just stood there and let the coyotes eat them. That changed my mind lol.
But this post got me thinking. Its been a rough year we are in a drought its hot one day cold the next. Between all of my family we have over 200 head of cows. We lost 6 so far in the last year. 2 were from pit bulls. I don't remember the exact number of goats I was up to so let's round up and say 90. I lost 3 does one was very old and 6 kids.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Man, I hate electronic devices!! Here I just wrote a long post which I don't usually, and I accidentally hit something and it dissapeared! :mad:I was saying that I don't especially think those statements are true, at least not of all goats.
I have heard someone that raised sheep say that they start looking for a place to die as soon as they're born, but I'm always amazed at how vigorous and hardy newborn baby goats are.
In general, I've heard that sheep tend not to be as bright or affectionate as goats, as well as less hardy, but I really can't form an opinion as I have never had any experience with sheep.
we raised sheep , goats, horses , and cattle. my dad always said a sick sheep is a dead sheep. horses and cattle just drop dead. goats are somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I bought into all the hype about you have to have this, and you have to have that, and I spent a fortune on drugs and vitamins and everything else. Guess what? I wasted that money because all of that stuff expired without ever being used, and I never replaced it. Keep it simple, stick to basics, mimic their natural habitat as much as possible and you - and your goats - will be fine.
As much as I am glad to have the medicines around that I have, I tend to agree with you on this one. I think a lot of the time people can tend to overtreat problems, possibly even creating more... not that they shouldn't treat or anything, but I do think keeping it as natural as possible will help for them have a better chance of survival.:)

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I was told once when we raised boer that they are fragile because we treat them like they are fragile..by babying them, over feeding, over medicating, over crowdedness, over exposer to stress,instead of just letting goats be goats (or sheep be sheep for that matter) then we further the problem by breeding bad/weak stock and creating more bad/weak stock. I think we each have a responsibility to better our herd..improving the flaws and a creating stronger goat. But no matter what we do, whether spoil them (as I do do :eek:) or let only the strong survive, we will have loss...

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I do spoil my herd, I love them too much not to. :) BUT, I also don't believe in breeding weak stock, unthrifty goats are not breeders here. I also believe in using natural treatments as much as possible, to protect the herd from immunity from antibiotics and worms. But no matter how great your care is, no matter all the things you do "right", there will be loss. Where there is life, there is death, that is the curse of this fallen world. :hug:

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
where there is life, there is death, that is the curse of this fallen world.
amen :d

1 - 20 of 27 Posts