The trouble continues....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by billmac, Feb 22, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Well, in addition to respiratory infections in 3 of our animals, another kid dead of bloat, one of our pregnant (we think) nubians is down and looking bad.

She was fine yesterday. This morning she was off her feed and grunting when she breathes. The vet saw her this afternoon. Her temp and lungs were fine. She's weak, and her rumen has stopped. The vet didn't really know what it could be. He gave her tetracycline, bose, thiamin, banamine, and calcium, and a dewormer. He does not expect her to live. He said she seemed to have a little vaginal discharge, but it didn't smell bad and he didn't necessarily think she was having pregnancy problems.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if her rumen is shutting down she needs Probios or yogurt wtih active cultures.

did he suggest Ketosis as a possibility?

3. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm sorry to hear of all your troubles. I don't have any answers, but I am sending prayers for you and your doe and al your other goaties. :hug: :hug:

4. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    How close is she to her due date? Definitely probios and/or steal some cud from a healthy goat. I agree with Stacey that it could likely be pregnancy toxemia/ketosis. If so, propylene glycol and Vit B complex might help. Or, the other thing that would come to mind is milk fever, especially if she is close to kidding. Then she would need calcium...hope she makes it!

5. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Well, she is still alive. She is still grunting/moaning with every breath, but she appears a trifle brighter than yesterday. She drank some warm water and nibbled a little grain (just a few kernels) and nosed some hay. She is still laying down, but she stands to shift position. I gave her yogurt with molasses last evening and this morning.

She is due sometime in April (if she's pregnant). The vet didn't think it was pregnancy toxemia but of course we can't be sure. He gave her calcium and thiamin yesterday, as well as bose.

Advice and prayers are both appreciated.

6. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Would it hurt (or help) to get her moving around?

7. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    I'm going to let someone with more experience answer this, especially if it's related to some of their suggested conditions "ketosis, toxemia/ketosis, milk fever".

This part to me is very good. I've heard to never let them stay on one side too long. Also, if possible, to use a bale of hay or something to keep them more propped up.

This is very important in my opinion, do not let her get dehydrated. Here is a link to OCR on dehydration: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... ation.html
    In my opinion whatever product in the form of electrolytes, molasses water, or gatorade you can get into them (offer it each time you're out there) , especially when they are able to drink/sip on their own, the better.

I don't remember your climate, if you have access to leaves, I've heard it's the easiest thing for them to digest. Just have them available in case she is able to start eating more.

Good. Keep checking her temp. at intervals without stressing her, as I believe it's important to stay on top of it.

By any chances, is your girl yawning alot that you noticed?

:pray: for your girl.

8. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I don't remember why the vet thought it wasn't pregnancy toxemia, but the symptoms sure seem to fit. Maybe he thought it was too early. I would guess that she is at least 7 weeks from freshening.

We're getting some karo/molasses in her today. She is still just laying around.

9. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    She died about 4pm today. The vet was with her. She had gone blind. The vet thought it must have been something neurological. He examined her after she was gone and said he did not think she was pregnant.

10. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    I am so sorry for your loss.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    oh dear Im sorry.

12. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

13. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I am sorry! It may have been Polio. I had a sheep contract polio. Went completely blind and was certainly neurologically affected.

14. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so sorry you loss your girl :hug:

15. Goat Biology

Goat Biology New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Hi billmac,
    I wanted to know if you were feeding concentrates to this doe? Since you mentioned that the rumen had shut down it made me wonder about overfeeding of concentrates which can cause goats to go down like this. Chronic rumen acidosis leading to rumen ulcers and infiltration of necrotizing bacteria can cause major organ failure.

In one discussion list I was reading an owner was feeding a 100 pound doe over a half a gallon of sweet feed every day. Not just grain but the sugary sweet feed with lots of corn and molasses. This doe went down the same way although she was milking, not pregnant. Her blood work showed liver involvement, kidney shut down and a few other things. The doe was saved with IV antibiotics, anti-inflammatories and fluids but her rumen was probably permanently scared.

So, I was just curious what kind of diet she was on and if you had a necropsy done.

Karin Christensen
    The Biology of the Goat
    http://goatbiology.com

16. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Karin,

She was getting 2 cups of Agway dairy goat feed twice a day. Pretty much the same as she has always gotten. She also got hay twice a day. No other feed besides some minerals.

No, we did not have a necropsy done.

17. Goat Biology

Goat Biology New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Interesting that the rumen would have stopped. The usual reason for this is acute or chronic acidosis. Signs of ketosis can be similar to enteroxemia or endotoxemia. What is in the Agway dairy goat feed? Is it a grain, molasses based feed and finely ground? 4 cups a day can be a lot if the goat is not eating sufficient roughage.

18. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Karin,

It is a grain and molasses feed. Not terribly fine. As I said, her diet had not varied in months.

19. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Billmac, I am so sorry to hear that. Of course the "blindness" makes me think of polio as well --- I've a run in with it (I believe) a couple of times...

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry you lost her :hug:

The blindness could be a sign of polio, even though her diet hadn't been changed...it can happen when theres "something off" in the rumen flora...goats make their own B vitamins through the rumen, anything could have caused this, some goats though are more sensitive to the slightest changes in weather, etc.
    You did what you could for her, she left you knowing that she was loved :hug: