The trouble with free ranging the goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by CrossCreekTX, Mar 24, 2010.

1. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    is, they start wanting to be milked an hour or two ahead of time and come up on the porch looking for me. (I think they just want to get on the milk stand for grain! LOL)

We've finally worked out the milking order, Penny, the Nubian, then Glennis (4th freshener LaMancha), then Lisle, (FF LaMancha with tiny teats) then Glennis gets to check to see if anybody left any grain in the pan.

Won't it be fun when Daisy freshens (FF LaMancha)! I'm hoping Meggie waits at least a couple of weeks after Daisy and she's a FF too.

Its raining again, I need a roof over the milk stand.

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Put your milk stand up on the porch.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I hated milking outside - someone always had to hold the umbrella while I milked, not fun.

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    If the porch had a roof, I'd put the stand up there.
    I'm planning to make a milking shed. First I need to get the indoor toilet hooked up! LOL

ETA
    We just moved the mobile home and then the old milking shed became really inconvenient to use. So I moved the milk stand close to the house and now need a new milk shed. (And septic system, which has to come first.)

5. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    You can build a hoop house for under $60. I have a friend who milks in one year around and she gets snow. Milking in the rain just sucks. Can you hand a tarp any where?

6. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    How does she keep the goats from playing on the tarp?