The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was missing a young buckling last night. He was over 20lbs. Shocked that a coyote would run off with one the size he was. This is going to be full scale war.

I have never lost a goat. Not a still born, not a kid that died, nothing.

I am going to bait them and shoot them. Call them and shoot them. Day and night I am going to work on them.

I have lights on timers around the pens where the goats bed. I think the kid was taken from the pasture during daytime.

Any suggestion?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am no expert on coyotes by no means. But I would recommend a LGD. We have one and she is a blessing to our family and our farm. We have had a lot of coyote activity around us been no trouble since we've had her. Others may have different suggestions and ideas for quick fixes but I would consider the LGD for your long term.

I wish you luck on killing the coyotes!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry for your loss. I agree on getting a LGD. We have lots of coyotes around us. Our Great Pyrenees drives me nuts sometimes, but nothing ever bothers our herd. At dark I've noticed they will come find him and bed down around him. He seems more effective than the multiple attempts to shoot the coyotes.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
Sorry for your loss! I have nothing that is helpful, but I'm with milk and honey..... you sound scary! those coyotes need to watch their backs while I slowly back away.....

·
Goat Feeder
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been wanting to get a LGD. I want to get an Antolian Shepard. Hard to find one that is ready to work. I want to buy one that is ready to go to work killing coyotes and dogs that come in the pasture.

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
A good llama or an extra mean coyote killing donkey might be good, but those are hard to find. I always thought it would be neat to get a BLM donkey as it would probably be way meaner towards dogs than a captive raised one, but it would also be hard to fence and I would be worried about it going after the goats.

If you could get a hold of a carcass of some variety that might help as bait to get them to come.

·
14,456 Posts
Let me say this about LGDs. Our first dog was I think about 8 mos old when a cougar was spotted.
Just because they might not be big enough to kill a coyote does not mean the pup cannot be a huge deterrant.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry you lost him.
I agree with getting a donkey or a big dog.
I have 3 German shepherds who patrol and guard my 31 acres. I've never had any issues with wild animals getting anywhere near my goats.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
They aren't dumb, I think shooting some would be a great idea as well, will help deter them. They will start to catch on that its not a safe place, but for sure do get some sort of guardian animal, I Would not go with a llama though, they just aren't mean enough, donkey or dog for sure. If you have large packs around you, get 2, because 1 could get over taken.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Im so sorry you lost your buckling :(
Get yourself a LGD , one or two.
Good luck with the hunt. Is this just a tale or does hanging the carcass of a coyote help deter others ? Just a thought.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss, that is sad. Have you considered electric fences? The reason I ask is because I am the only one in my neighborhood that have electric fences, and the only one that hasn't lost any livestock. Everyone else had lost chickens, ducks, rabbits, calves, dogs, and miniature horses. I haven't even lost a chicken to a coyote. I know they have tried because I see a big ball of fur on the electric fence... One of the dens is about 15 ft away from my far fence line, as a neighbor tracks them on a camera down there. Also, if you shoot and kill a leader, they will pack up and leave so to speak for a few months, but they do come back. My neighbor has shot 15 in 3 years. An LGD is a good idea too or a Llama, I was just trying to give another option;-)

·
Banned
5,939 Posts
Any suggestion?
Check with your local extension office, vets, brand inspection office, and feed stores and see if you can find a good trapper. I don't know about your area, but around here trappers don't charge, and a good one is worth his/her weight in gold. Coyotes are very smart and very difficult to shoot. You've got one chance to kill it and that is pretty much it.

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,693 Posts
Oh it's on! Get the guns! Secure the fencing! Lock the goats up!! Do you know where they might have gotten in at!? If you could find that out, you can secure it! You could also put up strands of barbed wire
along the top of the fence. If the coyotes jump it, or try to jump it. It's over. You can also put many strands of electric wire on the outside of the fence. Hope those culprits don't come back! Coyotes make my blood boil.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts