The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year has seemed really over populated with ticks. I have a doe battling anemia, and this evening when I was petting her, I found a tick. Then I began searching, by the end I had pulled seven!
We recently turned them into a freshly fenced brush area, where the chickens don't range, so it's a perfect jungle for ticks. She is also light tan goat so that attracts them to her.
Does anyone have any methods from warding of these pests?

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
Tea tree essential oils is great. A friend has a stream behind her house..tick heaven down there. She puts about 8 drops tea tree EO in a tablespoon carrier oil and drops down her goats spine area. She said makes a world of difference. You could then brush it down over her body..or make a spritz with witchhazel and tee tree and mist them all over. Be sure to get area ticks love.
Also feeding fresh raw garlic may help. I know I don't have much of a lice issue since we feed it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is rather swollen in the face from all the bites. Is there anything I should do?
I'm giving her b 12 complex and red cell for the anemia. And switchel, a drink of molasses, ginger and apv and water. 1.5 cc of banamine. For the swelling I gave her 50cc benadryl and a handful of fresh oregano, lemon balm and bee balm.
I assume it will just take time for her to recover seven ticks could do a lot of damage!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tea tree essential oils is great. A friend has a stream behind her house..tick heaven down there. She puts about 8 drops tea tree EO in a tablespoon carrier oil and drops down her goats spine area. She said makes a world of difference. You could then brush it down over her body..or make a spritz with witchhazel and tee tree and mist them all over. Be sure to get area ticks love.
Also feeding fresh raw garlic may help. I know I don't have much of a lice issue since we feed it.
I just found this recipe and I have the stuff on hand. Is neem oil safe for goats?

• 2 cups of water
  • 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of organic neem oil

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
Yes It is safe. I think I would add quality Tea tree essential oils well.

·
Super Moderator
35,023 Posts
I would clean the area after removing a tick and use ACV on location. Can add tea tree and lavender eo to that if you have it

·
Premium Member
7,838 Posts
I just found this recipe and I have the stuff on hand. Is neem oil safe for goats?

• 2 cups of water
  • 4 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons of organic neem oil
You can also mix need oil and water in a lawn sprayer and spray around trees and on bushes in your goats area. (Shake often) I use it to keep chiggers off my yard and pens. I have a horrible reaction to their bites. It works really well. I redo it after heavy rains but in between it lasts quite a while.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Homemade Tick Repellent Spray for Clothes:
You could also use this repellent to spray on your skin, such as feet and legs, but when I do this, I cut the amounts for the essential oils listed below in half. That way it is less potent and easier on your skin.

What you need:
Spray bottle
-About a cup of water
-10 drops rose geranium oil
-5 drops cedarwood oil
-2 to 3 drops lavender oil
-2 to 3 drops lemongrass oil

*The most important ingredients to repel the ticks are rose geranium and cedarwood, so if you don’t have lavender or lemongrass, you can skip those oils.

Directions:
1. Fill your spray bottle with water. If you have a smaller spray bottle, like a travel size, just cut the amounts in half.
2. Add the essential oils, put the top on the bottle and shake. It’s ready to use.
To Apply It: Just shake the bottle before each use and spray it on your clothes and shoes. The scent will keep ticks away.
**Spray the homemade tick repellent on your clothes each time you go out in any areas that may have ticks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have sad news. Petaluma died this past Tuesday!:cry:
She was a fighter, but never got back to the same level of health pre c section. And ticks took the final toll. Blessedly, the final illness was short, and she never seemed to be in high pain. She died during the night, after a last bowl of feed, and I found her in the morning!😰😢😪

She was the head of my herd, bossy and strong and just my Petaluma! I'm sorry I couldn't do more!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts